Body Corp Repairs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Longrass, 9th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Longrass

Longrass Well-Known Member

Hi team, one of our tenants in some units has a water leak in the car park which is causing for rust stained water to drip into his boat.

The issue has been reported to body corp back in November and have followed up in writing each week since then.

The standard response is that they are working on it.

The tenant is now parking the boat on the street and has had his motor stolen now. For which he is trying to hold me liable.

At what point can I step in and fix the issue and can body corp be held liable?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

It’s not clear how you’re involved at this point. Your story is missing info.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm assuming you are the owner of the unit, the stolen boat belongs to your tenant?

It would seem you've done all you can to sort out the issue. Where he parks his boat is not your issue (I would assume). Could he not have put a tarpaulin over the boat rather than park it on the street? Where do his own actions come into play here?

Does he take ownership of the decision to choose to park the boat on the street rather than throw a tarp over it and keep it in a more secure place?

Sackie, Lindsay_W and kierank like this.
  4. Longrass

He was parking in the common (visitor) parks but was told to remove the boat by the body corp. Work that out.

He could have covered the boat, I’ll concede to that. His position is that his lease with me is for 2 parks and that he has the right to use them. For me, that’s a fair point.

Where I am at now, is what I can do to force the body corp to act, or, take the repairs into my own hands.

We pay a fair sum to body corp and in this instance, I feel quite rorted.

5. Longrass

I am the owner of the unit, trying to rectify a common property issue that is affecting my tenant.

6. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

oh I see

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you put into his lease that he could park in the visitor's park? That could be problematic.

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

The body Corp sound particularly difficult - they won’t fix the issue so the park allocated to your unit can be used and also won’t let the tenant use the visitor park. I really think that they need to temporarily allocate the visitor park to your tenant. As for the motor, not your fault it got stolen.

kierank likes this.
  9. Longrass

Thanks for everyone's comments.

Are there any laws or relaxations that allow me to make good the issue myself.

It would cost around $500 to fix.

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Depending on which State your unit is in, there are more likely to be laws/penalties to stop you from undertaking common are repairs as you have no authority.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If someone steals their boat how are you liable? The legal principal of causation is involved. A unbroken chain must exist and they have no necessity to park on the street and the choice is a issue. You are not responsible for the acts or inactions of the strata. The tenant issue is not uour issue. It is their problem Do you reimburse their train fares if the train to work doesnt arrive on time?