Body Corp Manager Vs. Just Getting Common Property Insurance

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Ruan de Witt, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ruan de Witt

Ruan de Witt Member

I'd love some advice on the following:

Do I need to have a body corporate manager on a 4 block subdivision with a shared driveway for 3 of the units in Victoria?
    I took out a common property policy and sold 1 of the units and will be listing another soon. Once this policy expires is it just a case of me running between the other owners trying to get agreement on sharing the costs? What if the other owners decline and do not want to pay?
    Also, what are the pros and cons of using a body corporate manager vs. just arranging myself for common property insurance?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are the properties a strata subvisision or Torrens titled?

If strata, you'll need to establish a management committee/owners Corporation to manage the common or shared costs ET building insurance, common area power/cleaning/maintenance etc.

Pumpkin likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its subdivided land with a common driveway its different to strata units.

4. Ruan de Witt

Ruan de Witt Member

Hi Scott,
    Thanks for your comment - it's subdivided land all on separate titles but with a shared driveway.

5. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

The law says you need to comply with the Owners Corporation Act. You don't need a professional manager. You do need to comply with the insurance and other requirements under the Act, especially if there is more than two units and two owners involved.

Consumer Affairs Victoria has excellent resources about OC requirements.