Bob Day building company collapses

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by marty998, 17th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Read your contract, it is written in plain English so even you may be able to understand.

The OFT is useless when it comes to resolving disputes.

If you modify a contract, you may invalidate the entire document. If it refers to the builder and there isn't one, who is the builder as it no longer meets definition.

You have no understanding of margin, preliminaries, mark ups, wastage, overheads or the cost of doing business. 20% must be a remote site, one builder within 500km and a heap of work ahead of your job. @Depreciator would vouch for this.

Who would administer it? Are you willing to pay 15% to the government to ensure that your money is safe?

2. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates

I am not going to go into this too much and I don't want to say this to offend but reading your posts, you don't have much of an idea if you think except for hwi other insurances are "optional" and "advised". There is no point bothering with the rest and going into a frenzy of back and forth. Let's agree to disagree.

3. Scott No Mates

Having been involved in the industry for all on one week, I assume that I may know a little more than a seasoned qualified professional such as yourself, I bow in your shadow.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Wow things escalated quickly.

If bobby dazzler knew he didn't all those staff and supervisors he probably wouldn't be in the mess he's in now. Employing all those con artists and following standards pffft!:rolleyes: back to politics bobby

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I used to think like @Scott No Mates, but unfortunately real life on the ground is much more like @Tenex has portrayed. It's a pity there's not more good ones, but so far my direct experience is that - in the ACT and surrounds - they are in the minority.

Tenex likes this.
  6. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I am but a keen observer and a humble student. I will take seasoned qualified professional as a compliment.

The years of experience dont change the facts about how insurances work, whether a carpenter or a concreter can read engineering plans and a range of other things that I have mentioned. But I dont think there is any point in going back and forth if we have opposing views.

I hope one day we get better regulation in this country and an opportunity for people to have the choice of not having to go through a builder / building company provided they can oversee the job themselves and it is performed and monitored by qualified professionals.

7. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

I know basic accounting, a bit about cars and have some knowledge on lawn care. I don't go shooting my mouth off on how easy I could do an accountants/mechanics/greenskeepers job though because I am not a professional, and lack the true experience.

Everyone's career is a profession, even down to the guy who can cook delicious chips at maccas after some experience in the role. Your elitist views on other peoples careers and livelihoods is nothing short of idiotic.

Bondi, mrdobalina, hobo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

That is good for you, what else do you know since you are in the sharing mood. Do you know anything about the price of oil, stock market by any chance? No?

What is your point? Show me, where I have said building is not a profession.

Elitist views?

If I say that using a builder should be an option, then in your expert view that is idiotic? Did you bother reading the posts or was it just about throwing up some words based on a misunderstanding?

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There is a lot of poor builders, and during any boom more of them pop up and more chances to get a poor one, just like all the new mortgage brokers, etc etc That does not change the fact that it is not a simple, straight forward easy job that anyone can do "well".

But it already an option, owner builder as you probably know.

mcarthur likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Agree.

It's pretty easy to avoid hiring a builder by going owner builder!

11. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Correct but this year they made owner builders a lot more regulated and part of the reason was to send more jobs builders way.

Also owner builders cannot be done on a duplex or more than one house. Basically there are far more regulations around an owner builder than there are around builders such as Huxley homes.

You will find in the real world, a lot of builders are lending their license to developers, albeit at a price, so the developer can oversee and build the project themselves. The risk with this approach (apart from the fact it is dodgy), is that the developer may cut corners.

If developers were made to do a course and were governed by certain inspectors such as engineers and certifiers, but had the option of being able to build themselves, we can avoid a lot of risks while making the building process far easier.

Dont forget the builder will possess your site until you have paid the very last dollar. So if you are stuck with a lemon, you have to go through months and months of hearing and/or legal process in the hope you will recover your site let alone any financial damages.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So... do a course and be governed by certifiers and engineers ...You mean like a builder!

Also, are you sure that the builder posesses the block? What is your source for this claim?

I own my block 100%. Whether a builder is building or not doesn't t change that ownership.

13. dabbler

I do not know if it has changed much recently & there are lots of dodgy owner builders.

Same with duplex, not sure if changed, but I know it was fine as know plenty who did it.

If it has changed, probably have the shonks to blame, not genuine builders & the nanny state we now all live in, where one thing goes wrong they try and stuff it for everyone, Lockouts and Greyhounds are the latest example.

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

At least this thread makes the Russell Crowe - Azealia Banks trend fall off the radar... I think they were arguing about positive vs negative gearing until it got ugly....

15. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

The owner builder course is usually a couple of days, nothing like a builder.

I don't know other states but in NSW you can't build a multi occupancy as an owner builder. Just a house and even then you get a lot of restrictions that builders usually don't have.

The builder has site possession for the period of contract / project.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I don't believe a builder could prevent me coming onto a site that I own - especially since I have a white card!

17. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

For everyone that thinks doing an Owner Build is the best option, do you also do an Owner Service on your car every year?

18. dabbler

Who said it was best option or even any option for some ?

And yes, I do :)

19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Hmm, not sure how these two things are related?

However, servicing your own car isn't that daunting - though not as many people do it these days. A basic service (oil change etc) is pretty simple and can certainly be done at home. The main issues are oil disposal, safe jacks and being OK with getting under the car.

20. Scott No Mates

All building contracts grant exclusive use rights to the builder to enable them to perform works. I have provided an extract from the Residential Building BC4 Contract Cl 8. Cl 8d) permits conditional access for site meetings.
    upload_2016-10-20_9-12-32.png
    upload_2016-10-20_9-13-28.png

Attached Files:

boeman likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia