boarding house insurance

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Hybrid Developments, 1st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Hybrid Developments

Hybrid Developments New Member

Hi,

Other than EPIG are there any other known insurance providers for boarding house insurance.

I'm not too concerned about loss of rent. Never had any issues.

Looking for standard building and contents insurance.

On top of that Public Liability insurance incase anything happens to anyone on the residence, invited or uninvited persons. Breakdown or failure of any electrical goods attached (a/c, oven) or portable (fridge, washing machine).

Then accidental and malicious damage and theft. Never had an issue with any of the above.

Thanks

Rachel

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Jul, 2021
  2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

If normal residential won't cover this, the next thing that comes to mind would be a strata insurance policy maybe? I think the answer is to contact and deal with an actual insurance broker who then go out and find the respective insurers etc and do all the work tailoring the cover to your needs and that's what they get paid to re: fees from the insurer etc.

3. Hybrid Developments

Hybrid Developments New Member

Thanks Michael,

I'm after people that have boarding houses to comment on who they use for insurance.

I know of 3 companies. 1 broker was terrible to deal with. Low quality provider that made mistakes with inexperienced staff. 1 is double the cost of other providers so keen to avoid this. And the other I'm still waiting to hear back from.

Yes, most brokers don't deal with boarding houses. No one wants to touch it. They see it as high risk. Mines not. They're unique so hard to scrounge up competitive prices and quality providers.

Rachel

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. OldElliottE

OldElliottE Member

Apart from EPIG I haven't heard of many. I've gone through a heaps of brokers over the years too. It's so hard for anything these days - public liability, plus building and contents etc. The brokers I did find used to all end up with the same underwriter anyone and at one point I was down to only one place that would quote for building insurance and it was so expensive!

5. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

There is only one insurance co that will cover boarding house in WA.

6. lyndan

lyndan Member

did you find any cheap insurance for borading house?