Boarder Without a Lease

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Angel, 2nd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Hi, I've got a legal question about potential claim on our assets.

Mr Angel's Farang brother is currently in Brisbane getting some medicare-funded surgery. I suspect he is also up to dodginess. He keeps saying he will return to Thailand, plus he comments on all the criminal stuff that happens there with the expat Aussies, along with something about extradition back to Oz not happening.

Last week he asked our permission to continue using our home address as his Australian address and when he brings his Mrs over next month, he wants to use it for her address too. This seems reasonable, given they don't have their own accommodation yet and he is staying with friends "temporarily". He uses our address for all his legal documents such as his new Drivers Licence, Medicare Card and his bank account details.

Our good relatives asked us if he has a tenant's lease (here) and they went on to say that after six months without one, he can start to claim our home as his. What do we need to do about this?

Thank you

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

a load of bs!

On what grounds could he claim your home as his?

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Start to claim your home as his ? are your good relatives practitioners of the law ?

ernie at the bbq asked bert if he can claim his rubber ducky as a tax deduction. bert said big bird said its ok as well.

craigc, HUGH72, lixas4 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No, just paranoid, they despise him. But it got me worried.

Love it!

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry. Love your work Buddy

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The ATO, Border Force and other agencies are smarter than that. Using your address will be about as effective as using the Sheraton Brisbane as a home address. You could be involved in a conspiracy to defraud the Commonwealth ?

Detention and turn back at a border is more likely when you tell little lies. You ever watch Border Force Australia on TV ??

I would keep an arms length to this. If BF are onto him they can drag you in too. By access to your PC with warrants - they can even see you have a PC username and login...You get the idea ??

Joynz likes this.
  7. Terry_w

What the heck?

8. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

this sounds like serious boarder security issues !!!

Terry_w likes this.
  9. Terry_w

I thought Paul was serious for a minute.

10. Paul@PAS

I know a REA who had an aweful issue occur. Knock knock at 5am. Feds and Border Force at the door. Handcuffs and warrants. They argued for three days he conspired to import a controlled substance. All because he lent a relative/former friend !! a large sum of $$$. Took some convincing before they accepted he was duped thinking a loan was for a business cash shortfall. His emails and texts (they also raided his agency which didnt look good) told the story thank god. Lack of a loan agreement didnt help him !!

He lost $400,000 in the process.

11. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

@Angel lock the doors....change your name....burn down the house...its over buddy !!!

dabbler likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

With the dude in it ?

13. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

you should join forces with Alex Jones from Infowars. i didnt read into it that Angel's brother is selling women into slavery in Burma through Thailand or that he is a major drug smuggler with ties to the mexican cartel.

all i read was that farang ("foreigner in thai") live in Thailand and dont have an aussie address and so use their address

OMG i used my parents address for correspondence while i lived in Philippines....quick Mum run !!!! border force are after you...

Joynz likes this.
  14. Terry_w

I used to be in the AFP and we did arrest a real estate agent for importing heroin. Merely letting a family member stay with you is nothing to worry about. Why do you think Angel's family member is involved in criminal activity?

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Good grief Paul, one thing at a time. I'm asking whether he can make a claim on our property by claiming an entitlement to it.

Border Security is another issue, although we dont have any cash to "loan" him, I mean for our business transactions. The limit of his criminal history would be like not submitting any OZ tax returns while he was overseas, and on-selling decrepit condos to gullible Aussie investors.

Last edited: 2nd Jan, 2019
  16. Paul@PAS

I would distance myself. You are assisting what cannot be accurately described as his home address. Nothing likely a issue with title. The neighbour would have as much chance.

17. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Not pleasant at all, but how did this person possibly lose $400k in the process?

18. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Thats probably how much they lent to the friend?

Mike A and Harry30 like this.
  19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Or legal fees.

20. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

The President is now after you, your on a hit list not a watch list, your suspected of whatever they like....bye now, or lucky you if your no longer there :)

Mike A likes this.