BMX track in backyard?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by dan_89, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

Probably not a post you'd expect to see on a property investment forum but will ask anyway..

I'm contemplating making a small track in my backyard so I can brush off the cobwebs from my BMX (used to race back in the day). I've got a bunch of mates who are keen to make use of the large yard but have been hesitant as I'm planning on having the newly renovated home (currently PPOR) valued within the next 3 months.

From a valuers perspective could a bunch of dirt jumps or to them "piles of dirt" effect the valuation? I can landscape around the dirt to make things a little prettier if need be :D

Anyway, heres a couple of pics of my previous track at my parents place to give you an idea of what I'm planning on doing!

Attached Files:

charttv likes this.
  2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I would have paid anything for a photo of your parents' faces when they returned home from that weekend retreat to see that in their back yard. Should be the same reaction the valuer will have I would think:)

3. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Get the valuation before you do the bike track - improvements like that don't suit most buyers and make it less attractive/more difficult to sell. The value add is the cost of removal.

Chilliblue likes this.
  4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I think you were being too generous with the use of the word 'improvements':eek:

TheGreenLeaf likes this.
  5. Pistonbroke

I couldn't find the right emoji for tongue-in-(b.tt)-cheek.

HUGH72 likes this.
  6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I'd like to know what it would look like after heavy rain.

7. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Um.....we'll I'd say yes it would affect the valuation. Landscaping and other external parts of a property are important to a valuation just as the internal part. Inside they'll look at bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen and general condition of the house. Outside they'll look at of there is a driveway, any gardens and grassy areas. Pergolas, outdoor entertaining, alfresco etc. Additional structures such as detached garages or garden sheds. On top of this, the general conditional of all the above mentioned features of the property.

Now, getting back to your question, if a valuer came and saw something like what's in the photos you provided I'd say it won't go down too well in the valuation.

8. Pistonbroke

A moat?

9. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

haha looks like the track will have to wait then!

Surprisingly enough it wasn't too bad at all after rain. I had drainage chanels which let majority of the water run off and most of the track eventually had grass growing around which kept the dirt in one piece.

I've been lucky with my parents, can't say many parents would allow something like this in their backyard! Old man even installed some big floor lights for when we used the track at night!

Maybe it's time I grow up and do some proper landscaping instead of the track! but where would the fun be in that!? :D

Brian84 likes this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Fock the valuation that's awesome!

But as piston said val first then play. What could the val do? Drop by say 5-10k to allow for bobcat, truck and topsoil to return to normal. No biggie

You'll need to add a thread for the progress though

dan_89 likes this.
  11. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

I like the way you think Bob! glad someone appreciates all the hard work I put into it back when I was 16 ha! I thought it was much better use of a yard than a big patch of grass ;)

only took me the day to flatten it out with a shovel and it was back to normal! Will keep you updated with the new track, now I've got 3 times the space it'll be an eye opener! (or a disgrace to most!)

Brian84 and bob shovel like this.
  12. bob shovel

Haha yeah go for it! My parents had half an acre, I had 2 berms and 2 table tops, pretty basic but did the job

Some plant flowers and **** :)

Brian84 likes this.
  13. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

All I can say is cool. I also like what appears to be a mattress strapped to the tree.

14. dan_89

dan_89 Well-Known Member

All I can say is it beats face planting a bare tree when traveling at reasonable pace..

15. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Life is too short to not follow your interests and passions for the sake of a few k on an arbitrary document.

Just do it beforehand. It can be rectified should you ever wish to sell it.

dan_89 and bob shovel like this.
  16. bob shovel

and im pretty sure its a tax deduction too, and some depreciation possibly. just put up a sign "dan_89 IP think tank" send the photo to your account he'll know what to do with it ;)

17. PJ1

PJ1 Well-Known Member

What would Tim Judge do?

18. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

My parents let me have a moto track in the back yard when I was younger. Wasn't huge but I wasn't hitting big jumps then. Just had 2 doubles and a berm

dan_89 likes this.
  19. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Just needs a little more love.

Screen Shot 2015-08-02 at 8.50.45 pm.png

20. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Lol. Captain Risky - eat your heart out!