Blueboard/Polystyrene External Cladding

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tone1, 26th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tone1

tone1 Active Member

I am looking at a recently-built two level property which has been externally constructed with a combination of bricks (level 1) and blueboard or polystyrene cladding (level 2) which has been rendered over. The vendor is not sure whether the 2nd level is blueboard or polystyrene.

I am not familiar with these materials, the render does look good but I am worried about ongoing maintenance and durability of what sounds like pretty flimsy building materials. What are the disadvantages of the blueboard/polystyrene cladding compared to brick that I should be aware of prior to purchasing? I assume the former is a much cheaper method of construction.

Cheers

Last edited: 26th Aug, 2015
  2. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@tone1

Blueboard may have issues with joints showing up later.

Polystyrene or Styrofoam rendered have better insulation and sound proof rating then bricks..have to dig up studies but I am pretty sure that is the case.

This is my opinion and experience:

We used rendered Styrofoam in last duplex built and honestly I can say that it worked out better then bricks (cost,thermal and sound)

I am not a huge fan of blueboard but ppl in a building trade can give you lot more info.

@Brian84 may be able to shed more light!

tone1 and Brian84 like this.
  3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Styrofoam or hebel would be the best bet because of better insulation over blueboard and would also be cheaper than bricks because majority of the time if the house is not a square box it will more than likely require steel beams.

If using any material other than brick on a first floor or higher it should have an acrylic render applied rather than just a sand and cement render because the acrylic render dries like a rubber like render which allows for movement with the building. The render should also have expansion/articulation joins as designated to also allow for movement.

Blueboard would be the cheapest, than styrofoam, than hebel and than bricks.

Personally if your not going with bricks than I would use hebel next. Just my opinion. Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

bob shovel, tone1 and 380 like this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Make sure bits of foam do not fly off and knock off your tiles...... oh hang on, wrong topic.

The Y-man

Brian84 likes this.
  5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I have built 2 x PPoR's and both of them were two-storey, and both had poly-styrene with render for the top storey. No probs at all.

I think the poly is better for insulation and noise.