NSW Blue mountains

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by jins13, 22nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about insurance thats small stuff compared to dealing with council! You need a frog study done to erect a letter box.

Blue mtns is just following Sydney's growth, by the looks of those charts it's 6 months behind Penrith.

The good thing for the mtns is the limited land. But there's no work up there so it's a lot of tree changers and retirees and people that are prepared to get the train to the city, but in saying with the new airport and Penrith growing there will be more work opportunities available closer.

JacM likes this.
  3. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Theres plenty of places far from the bushfires hot zones. It would really need to be an apocalyptic style bushfire to put the majority of the houses in danger. As Bob said the council is a nightmare with most of the places needing all the new fire regulation. I wouldn't even consider building or putting a granny flat in. Apart from that I used to live/still work in the blue mountains. A lot of people are grumpy about the Badgerys Creek airport. They seem to all think it will make their house values drop. I think it will go the other way though. The lower mountains will be 30 mins from the airport. Quicker to get there than Parramatta. Plus all the jobs it will bring. Pm if you want any information about certain suburbs, good agents etc. More than happy to help.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. bob shovel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The eis is out now... Environmental impacts

Phantom likes this.
  5. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

As above - my thoughts are that its just running off the back off the Sydney growth - it's affordability in comparison has led to an increase in interest and hence growth. I'm sure the highway helped - but definitely wasn't the entire reason. It is beautiful up here though, and I am certainly glad I made the move. I got much more for my money up here than in Western Sydney.

I am also noticing that I am not the only young one moving up - it seems the last 12 months have brought in a few more younger families. Seems the mountains isn't just for the tree-changers and retirees anymore. As more work is available in parramatta and Penrith, more young families will move up seeking the space not readily available/affordable in western Sydney anymore.

I was chatting to @AndrewTDP about the area briefly the other night, - and as @bob shovel mentioned - the council are complicated. The majority of the land is zoned unusually - "E4" or similar, with minimum block sizes of 900 and 1200m2. As soon as that changes and aligns more with the State LEP standards, we may see a change in landscape as smaller, more manageable villas are made available for retirees as well as the young families seeking more affordable homes.
    It's an interesting landscape that I am keeping an eye on. I do foresee future opportunity, just have to watch and see a little bit. (And in the meantime I'll just finish my PPOR renovation in Wentworth falls, hopefully creating some more equity for the next IP move.)

6. bob shovel

@The Dark Knight
    The airport has been a long time coming and will be great for sydney and the West. It was only a matter of time before the gov has to pull their finger out and act on it.
    Where were you in the mtns?

@keithj might have more local info too

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

The best of the growth would be done by now. Would have been better to buy up there 5 years ago. Best to jump on infrastructure growth as soon as planning approval occurs and there is evidence of construction starting.

Just be wary of false starts and politician 'turning the sod' stories as happened with the Epping to Carlingford rail link many years ago.

The next part to watch though is road upgrades through to Lithgow.

8. bob shovel

And I'll continue to complain about that bloody highway! Bloody rta sent the first company broke and the whole job took twice as long as it should have... While I was working up there!! :mad:
    But it is a lot better to drive now , I'll miss cutting off the city slickers though! It was a nightmare on weekends

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

By the look of the flight path pics you posted, looks like it won't be too quiet out there.
    But will probably impact the least amount of people I guess.

10. Tony Fleming

Springwood :)

11. bob shovel

Good level up there! I grew up in Emu. It starts getting weird passed Springwood Blaxland

Tony Fleming likes this.
  12. Tony Fleming

Hahaha I'd say woodford upwards is when they get really weird. Katoomba is the haven for weird though. All hippies and they love the café scene.

13. bob shovel

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

The hippies are a different kind of weird, where does the Deliverance music start?

Tony Fleming likes this.
  15. bob shovel

They're up there too, is a strange mix of people!! The murderers don't need to go to far, the drugos and dealers are all there, its a close knit community! And the corporate hippies think they're saving the world and capitalists are capitalising!

16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We are seriously contemplating buying an IP which may possibly be PPOR for a while in Blackheath.

17. bob shovel

@radson Bleakheath! 12 days of sun a year ;) snow/sleet in winter... and spring

But seriously there are some really nice bush blocks and blocks with views.

Do you have an areas singled out?

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds like Canbrrr.
    At least skiing is only 2 hours away from there.

19. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Would be a great place to live. Would love the freedom to walk to the floor of the Grose Valley every second day.

20. bob shovel

No 40deg days or as many flies!!