WA Blue chip suburbs - Where are they?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by nomoreplanetickets, 21st Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. nomoreplanetickets

nomoreplanetickets Active Member

Hey Everyone,

As the post is titled,
    In Perth, could we come up with a list of where we consider blue chip suburbs are in this state?
    also interested to know of any suburbs with a higher entry point, let say 600k going into the higher prices.
    I know not everyone can afford to get into these places but it would be interesting to see how we think these suburbs are going to be performing in the coming years.
    Also, if you are able to afford these entry points. where would you be putting your money?

My partner and myself always believe buying quality properties with a decent entry point is always better. Mitigating potential maintenance issues compared to cheaper properties. we just purchased a beachside property in Rockingham for 620k and are currently looking to buy our next investment property which will be our future PPOR.
    Any thoughts?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't understand why this a question that isn't just answered by the quickest of glances at the houses in an area or the top median house price suburbs.

3. nomoreplanetickets

Because its a forum where people can have a discussion, potentially passing advice that others might find valuable at the same time?

sillydad likes this.
  4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You sound kind of defensive. Wasn't I just having a discussion and/or passing advice, according to your intention?

Otherwise my advice is that there's not really anything inherently "better" about buying at a higher price bracket or a "blue chip" suburb. And that cheaper properties having more maintenance issues is really a myth.

I've had more problems with newer properties than my older ones.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It really depends on what you mean by blue chip?
    In my mind it's always expensive suburbs (Dalkeith etc, house medians over $1.5m etc etc) and nothing relatable to CG or cashflow.

6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Watcha talking about Willis....it is best CF suburb? ;)

$1.5m might just get a toilet in Dalkeith n'est pas?

Westminster likes this.
  7. Westminster

Yup Dalkeith median is $3m which is why I separated out those things.
    I don't think the OPs definition of blue chip is the same as mine, hence the question.

sanj likes this.
  8. Westminster

If I take this definition Defining ‘blue chip’ in real estate - realestate.com.au which is more about history, less fluctuations and more bulletproof and aspirational

Then maybe:
    Highgate
    Mt Lawley
    Menora
    Crawley
    Nedlands
    Dalkeith (though the very high end did fluctuate badly last crash)
    Applecross
    Salter Point
    Mount Pleasant
    Fremantle
    Cottesloe
    Leederville

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2022
    spoon, nomoreplanetickets and Shogun like this.
  9. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

North of the river, left of the freeway nowhere beyond Karrinyup Road.

Lots of other great spots but that is Perth blue ribbon. The other, traditional, measure is south of the Perth to Fremantle railway line. Some say south of Stirling Highway.

600k = apartments or a vila in those areas.

The ocean won’t move and the city won’t move. And you want to be close to both.

Don Leo, MTR, Shogun and 1 other person like this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't confuse blue chip with blue collar - not everyone with a blue collar has a blue chip on their shoulder.

Shogun likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Did you talk to Moses? ;)

12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Can you define bluechip pls? Because you mention 600k and above which is literally just about the median house price, ie by very definition not bluechip...

Personally I have long been a believer in the opportunities presented in tbe premium end of the market, particularly during a downturn. There are multiple posts I've made going back well over 5 years ago where I pointed out the value of buying certain types of luxury properties as they would greatly outperform the general market when it rebounded.

Some of them have just about doubled in the last few years which is a lot more than the rest of the market.

The key though is knowing the bluechip market well and missing the mark can be expensive.

Recently 2 house very comparable within walking distance to each other sold in a top end perth suburb, one for over 4m and another for around 900k less and literally it would have cost 150k max to provide what buyers were willing to pay 900k for.

13. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Perth is mining and farming. So most of these blue chip suburbs have have people with a trades or farming background in them.

Shogun likes this.
  14. Thebiglebowski

Thebiglebowski Well-Known Member

I’m guessing these blue chip suburbs are also long time blue voting electorates???

15. Thebiglebowski

Thebiglebowski Well-Known Member

Interesting comment and reiterates what I have been discovering the last fortnight.

2 bedder character homes in Fremantle on small allotments of land (250-350m2) which people here suggest to stay away from due to land size have been growing 3.5 to 5% pa the last 10 years. The sample size was 8 or so but these properties are turning over every 4 to 6 years so the sales history is good. It’s clear there is still growth if selecting properties with a high demand.

16. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Perth, "Blue chip" and $600k.

1 bedroom apartments?

Maybe the KGB region for a house

17. nomoreplanetickets

Sorry, I should remove the word bluechip from the post.
    most investors i've been reading are lookin at 400k price points. I was simply talking about the next bracket up on entry points

18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

North of the river. West of Wanneroo road preferably West of train line. South of Clarkson.

Bayswater, Bassendean, Morley etc.

Really Just search for what you want, house, $600k, land area. A few options come up. That price range close to Perth sells quick and getting smaller.

Willetton gets mentioned on here a bit. Next suburb is Parkwood I don't see that mentioned. Searching finds a few houses in Parkwood worth a look imho. Forums often focus on some areas and don't mention many others buy YMMV

Last edited: 21st Mar, 2022
    nomoreplanetickets likes this.
  19. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

20. Westminster

$600k price bracket also brings some relief in that you're not competing against FHB grant people or interstate cheapie hunters AND generally better quality suburb, demographic and tenant. It's no guarantee but given the choice my preference would be better.

You can chose to go with the cheapest/worst house in a much better suburb or go with an average house in a lesser suburb. There is always compromises - like the size of the block, how many bedrooms which assist in the suburb choices as you jump up the suburb 'quality' ladder.

nomoreplanetickets likes this.