Bloodbath is coming for us

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Sackie, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

2. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

3. sash

sash Well-Known Member

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It is nothing new.

Of course; the problem will only occur for these folks if they have to sell. Most will ride it out for years if they can; until the market turns again and goes up again.

Sackie likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The bubble, Australian property collapse and the like etc is all nonsense for the average intelligent investor. If I listened every time some negative report came out, I would still be no where.

The fact is (in my mind at least) that we have NO other option. What? work for an employer all our life, the best years of our life and then only to retire on peanuts when we are old..??? ahh no thank you.

The alternative to investing and having a fighting chance at some freedom, is doing nothing and waiting for the inevitable. That's petrifyingly depressing to me.

Set81, Catalyst and Bayview like this.
  6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Never ever going to happen. Federal and state governments would step in and save the day, because it is too big to fail. Classic example of "moral hazard".

7. SonOfTrigger

SonOfTrigger Well-Known Member

I think it's entirely plausible.

The problem for the average joe won't be negative equity - as others have said you can batten down the hatches and ride it out if need be. The problem will be any roll on effect for job losses, discretionary spending etc and then average joe can't keep paying his mortgage(s).

8. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

I hear you trigger man. Thought Ross Greenwood covered the topic well on Channel 9 this morning. Reminded people that although there may not be an dramatic and immediate bloodbath, after a giant bull run the market in Australia can just stagnate for years and years. Some young guns need to be aware of how that might play out for their portfolios. I think he mentioned the Sydney market 2003 - 2011 as one such example.

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

A lot of happens behind closed doors that is not evident to the public...like professional people struggling to pay bills...will certainly be interesting..

Spot on about Sydney....