Health & Family Blood tests, who does them?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Zos, 17th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zos

Zos Active Member

Looks like they added a little more space for vegies and everything else looks very similar.

Perthguy your cholesterol numbers look fine can't complain about those numbers.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No, your LDL is fine, low.
    But your HDL would ideally be higher - like 1.8-2.0 (exercise, and ... alcohol I believe)

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Thanks! That might be something easier to work on. Just having a look at mayo now. They reckon quit smoking and alchol (I don't drink or smoke), exercise and eat healthy fat. I can exercise and eat healthy fat! :)

Interestingly, Niacin has been found to increase HDL cholesterol. However,
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/niacin/art-20046208

I prefer to eat food rather than take supplements anyway. :)

4. Zos

Zos Active Member

Niacin did nothing for my HDL and I took it for a good 3 months. My HDL struggles to get over 1 always has and probably always will. Then I know of people who don't eat so good, like sweets, dont exercise as much as me and have HDL over 1.6 :)

5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Zos

Zos Active Member

Would most definitely be bad for trig.

Bran likes this.
  7. Zos

Zos Active Member

Been thinking about what could be the cause of Dementia in the elderly. Am interested in others people thoughts.

Does anyone think it maybe be due to the lack of sex hormones as you age? For example undiagnosed low testosterone levels in a man. For good brain function I think testosterone is vital it has been said. More importantly not just total testosterone but Free Testosterone. Having a high total T and then having it all bound is not gonna be the same as having it unbound and active.

We all know as we age hormones dip and are no where near the levels as when we were young.

I feel that the 2 are related.

Thoughts?