Technology & Social Media Blocking multiple phone numbers from calling

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by KayTea, 13th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

The other day, I accepted an incoming call while I was driving in my car, using the hands-free setup. I couldn't see who was calling, but as I don't get many unsolicited calls, and have been busy dealing with agents etc, I figured I should answer the call. There was no voice at the other end, and it disconnected pretty promptly. After getting home, I checked the caller ID, to find it was a London-based number (and I don't know a single soul in the UK).

Well, I blocked that particular number, but now, multiple times each day, I'm getting calls from London - the same country, area, and locality, so all the first digits in the number are the same, but the last 4-5 numbers are different each time (like they're different extensions within the same building/company). I think it's most likely a scam (but at least it's not a Nigerian prince getting in touch, right?!).

Does anyone know (a) of any scams going around that follow this pattern (and any problems connecting that first caller may have created), and (b) how I can block the caller, when it's not exactly the same number calling each time? It's getting pretty damned annoying.......

2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a current scam.
    They want you to call back. It's a premium number and they keep you on the line as long as possible. Don't call back.

I use the app 'Should I answer?'
    It's amazing! Stops all this stuff and more based on peer reviews. You can also block and allow specific numbers yourself.

Anthony Brew and KayTea like this.
  3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I've been getting some calls from Central African Republic and Republic of Congo.. but they hang up too quickly.. very disappointed.. I'd like to at least say hello as I've never spoken to people from these countries before..

4. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Yes, when you answer once they will keep trying to call for quite a while. Still happens to the landline but they do not leave messages on an answering machine thank fully.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have been getting about 5-10 per day on our landline,the new scam is about a accident i'm supposedly been engaged in in Melbourne a week ago,ran up the back of a truck ..
    Have not been down that way in 6 months,asked what car time and any photos ,police report ect ,then they hung up..

vbplease likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has had this call as well.. I hope they find the correct people involved and hope nobody was hurt in the accident.

willair likes this.
  7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Mate they are very slick with the way they talk..The gentleman said that a bankruptcy notice was being issued
    ,told him nothing's in my name go ahead..Then gave my Barrister's ph no,and this time of day he would be standing in the front bar of a inner Brisbane hotel..

vbplease likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I tend to find that many barristers work hard at the bar. I also find the other ones behind the counters at espresso bars.

willair likes this.
  9. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Iā€™m having the same issue. Yesterday my curiosity got the better of me and I answered: Young girl with an Asian accent tried to sell me on opening a share trading account.
    I strung her along for a little while to see what level of scammer she and her company had progressed to...
    1/10
    Bye

10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

It is really getting to my nerves these days. Not only we can these scams in our home phones, but mobiles too. Now even SMS! See attached.
    Of those ring the home phone, 90% of them hang-up when we pick-up. Do they really believe we will ring back? Obviously some people do ring back, hence they are still trying after all these time.

Thanks for the reference @mikey7 . Will download the App.

mikey7 likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

TapTap, Pumpkin and KayTea like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

TapTap likes this.