Blinds or Curtains?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Simon Hampel, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GreenGoblin

GreenGoblin Well-Known Member

Thanks to Joynz' advice, we found an experienced alterations lady near our IP who resewed the headings and pleats (where required) on five curtains for us. We also bought three different sets of curtain hooks for pleated curtains at Spotlight, adding these where they were missing from other curtains and rehanging all the curtains correctly. All sorted in a day for about $70.

Huge thanks to Joynz once again.
    GG

WattleIdo likes this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Anyone tried DIY pelmets? They don't look too hard to do ... o_O
    Seems to be a very good way of insulating.
    Is a pelmet just a box? Should the curtain track ideally be attached to the box? Or can you use a pelmet just as well as with eyelets and tabs? What do you think of a pelmet with a nice rollerblind?
    Pelmets provide insualtion in winter by keeping the warm air (close to ceiling) from dropping down onto the cold window glass. In summer they prevent the warm air near the warm window from rising. I've always disliked them because they used to be just fussy dust gatherers but am working on a change of mind.
    Do you think the unrolled part at the top of matchstick blinds would have similar insulation properties?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I really like pelmets that go all the way to the ceiling. So they look like part of the room rather than an afterthought. You can actually have them done out of plasterboard ( like a three-sided bulkhead if you are replastering.

Also like ones where the pelmets is like the cornice, so the curtains are ceiling height. My IP has this in the living room.

A pelmet is basically a box. There are lots of instructions online and in books for DIY pelmets. There are also companies that do it too.

The unrolled part of the matchstick blind might help a bit, but the matchstick blind won't!

4. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

We have dual layer roller blinds in our PPOR - sheer + a blockout blind for night time privacy or extra insulation. Regrettably, we had them installed INSIDE the frame so there's a narrow strip between blind and architrave and this allows morning light into the bedrooms so to overcome this, we've added single width side drapes which are kept pulled back permanently - not concerned about covering entire window - just the gap. I think the windows look more "finished" with the curtains too.
    I wouldn't consider pvc/fake timber venetians in bedrooms as my niece had these and early morning light came in through the little holes that the cords run through. :mad:

5. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Are you a vampire? :eek: It can be hard to completely block out all light without going to extremes.

6. Glitzy Go

Glitzy Go New Member

Curtains just give it that soft touch with a bit of class.

7. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Could anyone please recommend a quality handy man for western Adelaide who can fix the wall and reinstall the curtain rod brackets. Had this Curtain rod brackets come out of the walls a year or two before and a handy man tried to restore at the same pull out area which has come out again.

Have to fix the dry wall glued to inside of the wall. Any suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Try airtasker?

9. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Thanks Gockie. Just that I am being skeptical letting someone try their luck on my absence. Would prefer the old school way of sourcing someone through word of mouth.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

People have reviews - you can decide to accept an offer based on the strength of their offer, their communication and reviews.

Sannie likes this.
  11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You have two issues, I think. ( in addition to the fact that the previous repair looks rubbish).

Firstly, the curtain rod may not have been screwed properly into the stud. That is, if your wall is a stud wall and not double brick.

It is really important to use screws long enough to go through the plasterboard and into the stud as far as recommended by the manufacturer of the screws. Move the brackets as required to pick up a stud. (Or if double brick, use the correct fixings)

If a stud can't be found in the right location, a length of wood will need to be run along the top, attached to the studs in several places and the curtain rod brackets screwed into that wood.

Secondly, it looks like the tape used to finish the plaster edge has come off. This is not glued in, but set in a plaster bed.

The old tape section will need to be scraped out , new tape added and refinished with base and top coat (or an all in one premixed plaster compound) using a bedding coat.

Another option for this type of plaster edge, is a plastic or metal angle, finished in a similar way to the paper tape. This provids a very sharp, clean edge and is very durable. But in this location paper tape is fine.

I would get a plasterer ( or handyperson or carpenter with good plastering skills) to do the repair and ask him/her to reattach the curtain rod using a stud finder.

Last edited: 18th Dec, 2016
    Sannie likes this.
  12. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Thanks joynz for a Very detailed reply. I shall pass on the message to who ever does get to do the job.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Just based on the photos. A person 'on the ground' will possibly notice other aspects.

Sannie likes this.
  14. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Send me a message I can give you my reno guys details

Sannie likes this.
  15. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Trying to figure out how to send you a message. Lol.

I tried to get someone @Gockie mentioned but wasn't convinced of the replies I got. Deleted the advertisement.

16. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I just realized I could double the lifespan of roller blinds.

Depending on the window drop, you can cut off the old half of the blind and reattach the weight to the new part. Because most people don't unwind the roller blind more than they have to, the new part is very newish looking.

I did this to a kitchen blind I was going to throw out - it was all ripped up in various places, but then I gave this a option a go and it looks good as new.

WattleIdo and Gockie like this.
  17. John Fulton

John Fulton New Member

I think blinds is good but final choice of yours