Blinds or Curtains?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Simon Hampel, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Two of my IPs have heavy curtains covering the lounge windows (which are from almost floor height), providing full light blockout.

They are now old and in need of replacement. My property manager has got quotes for new curtains, but also for blinds as an alternative (which are half the price of the curtains).

The blinds quoted on were this style of "blockout" roller blind - http://www.ozblinds.com.au/roller-blinds-blockout/vibe/ which we actually have on our kitchen window at our house and I think they work quite well in that context - but I'm not sure about using them on the lounge windows.

What do people like to use for lounge room window coverings in their IPs?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Blinds always, never curtains.

Sackie and Chilliblue like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think those blinds, whilst nice, don't give the warm feeling that curtains can give. I'd go curtains. Can you not just buy off the peg eyelet (or another style) curtain? You should be able to get a pair for less than $50 or better quality for more. The ones we have in our house are full block out and cost about $100 per drop but we got them on sale from one of the curtain chains.

Last edited: 19th Aug, 2015
  4. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi Sim

I'm confused - how will either blinds or curtains provide privacy? Are you intending to go the sheer curtains plus also a heavier curtain?

I'd personally go a chunky pvc venetian.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I like the blinds. Bit more modern, less of a dust trap and still keep the glare off the tv :)

6. Simon Hampel

Curtain company quoted on "3pass blockout coated fabric" (I had to Google 3pass - it refers to the how the curtain is constructed to block light). There would also bee a sheer curtain as well. This is basically replacing what is there currently with the same type of arrangement.

I tend to prefer sheer curtains on a front-facing window to provide extra privacy during daylight hours, with either a blind or blockout curtain to remove light if required during the day or to provide privacy at night.

This was why I was wondering if people thought I could get away with just a roller blind and nothing else.

7. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I use timber-look venetian blinds. They can be adjusted according to the amount of light required. I was using real timber but the blind maker talked me into the pvc version as he said tenants would need to oil/clean the timber blinds to make them last as long as the pvc version. So far, so good.

8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I am going through the process of refreshing a property, and I found discount blinds at Spotlight. A cancelled order, 70% blockout for the living room and 100% for bedrooms.
    Where I living there myself I would have Plantation shutters. Plantation shutters cost a fortune..

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'll second the plantation shutters (ensuse you have adequate clearance to ceiling fans etc).

Otherwise double blinds, sheer + block out. (Bunnies have them on display).

10. Simon Hampel

Hehe - not about to put plantation shutters in an 80s-style exposed brick lounge - just don't think it would look good at all!

11. JacM

Hi Sim

You could "get away with" the rollerblind, but when the tenants move in they will find the lack of privacy annoying and either say nothing and move rather than stay long-term, or immediately ask for something that provides privacy, or install something themselves that provides privacy.

I personally don't like rollerblinds. They get weird bend marks in them too easily and look trashy.

I like 50mm pvc venetians (never timber for the reasons already mentioned by Chrispy, and also pvc can be cleaned with a sponge and spray&wipe. Easy for tenants.)

When you hear "pvc" mentioned you think they'll look terrible, but they trump curtains every time.

venetians.jpg
    You can self-install the venetians or get someone else to do it. If DIY-ing, pay attention to whether it will fit precisely recessed into the window-frame or whether you'll have to mount it on the outside of the window-frame. Don't try cutting venetians to size. This is fraught with danger.

Also note that if you plan to recess the venetians, many window-types will not accommodate this due to the nature of the vertical/horizontal beams in the internals of the window frame (thanks 1990s) and/or the window-opening mechanism (eg the rollout kind ... the handle gets in the way of allowing enough space for recessed venetians... again, thanks 1990s).

bob shovel likes this.
  12. JacM

ps Bunnings sells PVC venetians and Spotlights sells something which appears to be the exact same when you get it out of the box (the instructions sheet is even identical so it is the same thing in a differently branded box I suppose) but at Spotlight they call it faux-wood.

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I prefer curtains too.
    The rental we're in now has curtains but with a track and cord to open close, so less actual handling of curtains so they won't get as dirty.
    The link type is very low maintenance and maylast longer depending on the roller and cord durability.

Either way a sheer curtain works well for privacy but being an IP they are easily damaged and ripped depending on the tenants

Glitzy Go likes this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Don't go the cord, you'll need to get certification that someone can't hang themselves on it. Pull rods are better.

Propin and bob shovel like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Ever heard of cement render? That'll fix the wall issue. ;)

16. Simon Hampel

This is a townhouse sharing a common firewall - which has cathedral ceilings and the shared wall in the main lounge/dining area would be something like 10m long and literally 5m high (I measured it!).

I have no intention of rendering that :p

17. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think it depends a lot which state you're in. Seems Victorians need and want heavier window coverage. Personally, I like the matchstick blinds for myself!
    Vic tenants requested roller blinds on all windows. Would like to supplement with good quality lined curtains but this might have to wait 'til I can make them myself. In the meantime, they're welcome to replace simple cotton eyelets with whatever they like.

wylie likes this.
  18. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Curtains

Glitzy Go likes this.
  19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I have black fabric roller blinds and find them to be great. Blocks out ~90% of the light, gives us privacy, easy to operate, no dust issues, and in our opinion looks far classier than venetian blinds.

Venetians are great for letting light in but still providing privacy, so we have those in the bedrooms but they get insanely dusty.

Plantation shutters are an upgrade we're considering purely for their acoustic/thermal insulation properties

JacM likes this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would prefer curtains as well.