Blast from the past

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 27th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone curious..and research what happened to a friend, relative ...not seen for 10+ years.......perhaps even someone famous .. am I the only one who researchs this stuff between researching property..so much fun when you find them

MTR

2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Not quite... but a few weeks ago, I had a junior assisting me at work. His surname was that of my late grandmother. I'd met and worked with him the first time at midnight the night before, and only found his name out when we finished.

We had a delay, so a few minutes to kill so I asked him (remember I didn't know him at all...)

"What's your grandfathers name"

"What did he do?" Airforce

"Where?" Papua New Guinea

"What was his wife's name"...

"Was there a Mary?" - His sister was Mary, an alcoholic.

Within about 5-6 more questions and increasing levels of astonishment on my behalf, we were 95% sure that his grandfather and my grandmother were siblings.

He googled his grandfather via the military database, and brought up the same photo that we have a copy of at home.

I rang my Mum and told her that I was with the son of her cousins. She had lost contact over a decade ago (and subsequently lost her ****).

That was pretty cool.

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

It's called Facebook. Probably decrease a lot of unnecessary threads off PC.

pinkboy

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

but I am not on FB, all I have is PC

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Toggling FB and I can see what some not so close friends do - dog handler, professional dancer, florist shop owners... I know what the closer friends do because we keep in contact, The medical people disappear from FB because of what I think the obvious reason, one is totally uncontactable in the last 3 years :eek:

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

no idea not on FB, surely the positive outweighs the negative

Last edited: 27th May, 2016
    EN710 likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@MTR it is good to find old friends (or stalk?) and sometimes you make new friends. The negatives... depends on how is used

8. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@MTR You should try it - sign up, have a look around.... it can't hurt??

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

both my daughters on FB of course and seems everyone is caught up in impressing, taking photos of food, selfies, important to prove they are having the perfect life...seems narassistic to me, do I want this... don't think so..am sure there are positives but not for me

10. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

@MTR Just because your daughters use it like that doesn't mean you have to do the same. You can follow businesses, interest groups etc instead of people if you like. :)

Bayview likes this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@MTR ypu can find like minded people or specific group. I'm mainly active in dog groups and have gotten lots of information and helps. You can stalk people to see what they're doing if that's your thing ;)

Bayview likes this.
  12. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Several years ago, on another forum, people had raised concerns about a person who had not appeared for a little while. Some people had looked up his phone number in the US without success. I was friends on Facebook, so I sent messages to his FB friends. As a result of this, his sister, who lived several states away called his son, who then alerted police. They found him dead in his house.

Several months ago my daughter was worried about a friend. She was quite close to this guy, but just a couple of days after he had confided in her his long term depression (which had not confided to anybody else) he was off the radar. In a similar manner, she contacted his brother through Facebook, who sent in police, who found that he had committed suicide.

I've used Facebook to find friends I haven't seen in 10, 20, 30 or even 40 years ago.

Facebook is a tool which can be used however you want. If your thing is posting shots of every meal you have, that's fine. If your friends are into that and you are not, don't friend them.

I use it like a typical father. I post the shots of my daughters the way that people probably showed the pictures in their wallets not so many years ago. And I follow life landmarks of friends, absent and present.

mrdobalina, sanj, ellejay and 2 others like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I joined FB years ago to access old dancing photos. I never used it, didn't remember passwords etc. My friends never tried to contact me via FB. They knew I didn't use it.

A few months ago I joined a couple of buy, swap, sell groups so each day now I check to see if there is anyone enquiring. I also see the newsfeeds and some interesting things do pop up. I don't want to get sucked into FB so probably once I've not got anything listed for sale, I'll stop using it, or at least not check every day.

What I did have a giggle at was friends who do use it to keep track of friends told me that if I've searched for old boyfriends, or friends who I've lost contact with, that those people are very likely to get a prompt and ask if they want to "friend" me. So if you are stalking an old boyfriend, he may realise it when he gets the suggestion to friend you. That information made me stop looking up old boyfriends to see what they look like now :D:eek:.

Xenia and WattleIdo like this.
  14. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Yes Gen X kids are bad on facebook, but some of the older generations have had some success. My dad has found some of his friends from school back in england after 50+years

MTR likes this.
  15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

It's a double-edged sword;

it is choc-full of "Look at me, World!!" rubbish,

but it is also good for marketing and finding like-minded groups to converse with (similar to here)

MTR likes this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Jump on FB MTR you will love it, just enjoy taking photos and sharing and don't worry about what it all means. It means you are having fun and interacting with people. There is also heaps of money to be made on FB if you are in business, but that is just an aside to all the fun.

If you are ever on, let me know, I have too many friends so need to get rid of a few to add you. Lots of the ladies that you are interacting with here are on Facebook - and there is no editing :p

MTR likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia