Black Aluminium Framing - Construction Costs

Discussion in 'Development' started by LukeR, 9th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had some experience installing black aluminum framing for windows as opposed to your standard typical window.

Any idea on costings and how much more it would cost to do?

I do really like the aesthetic, but not sure if it is worth it.

Will be doing my own research but interested to hear people's experiences aswell

See a selection of images here:
    Black Window Frames

Thanks

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

IMO, black looks great when new, but after a few years, covered in dust/pollution etc, it seems to lose its shine/gloss, starts to get that white acid powder look.
    Combine this with all other trimmings etc to match, I.e guttering, security screens/doors, the place starts to look tired.

Can't think what the name of it is but that cream/bone color seems to stand the test of time the best.

aussieB likes this.
  3. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Are you sure you want to go with aluminium frames and black on top of it ? I am curious - why ? From what little I know, Aluminium can get very hot - if the windows are exposed to the sun the frame itself will be super hot. Increases energy costs in cooling down the room plus if you there are exploring kids they will get their fingers tazed.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Dark colours fade, it's a fashion trend/goes out of style - these reasons are generally enough to turn people off.

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The stock colours of primrose, white and offwhite etc are in stock for a reason. Unless there is a compelling architectural design issue I wouldnt depart from the modern colour pallette.

Windows can be powder coated in almost any colour on demand at extra cost however....Even burnt orange (Intensity Summer Gloss)...This is just the dulux range, Depends what the fabricator uses

http://duluxpowders.com.au/find-an-applicator/colour/

WestOz likes this.
  6. LukeR

LukeR Well-Known Member

The 10 year warranty sounds very decent.

Judging from the reactions above, maybe its something that isn't worth the extra spend.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

That's the color I was trying to think of

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are two slight variations of primrose. Colourbond and powdercoat. I got caught years ago and now know better. When vandals spray the IP colourbond fence DONT buy any spray can of primrose...Strip the vandalism with thinners then buy a can of primrose colourbond and its a perfect match.