LIC & LIT BKI Investment Company Limited (BKI)

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Nodrog, 17th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

1,030 people like this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 18th Sep, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. unwillingwillis

unwillingwillis Well-Known Member

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes, I owned it in the early days but got frustrated with the high exposure to New Hope coal and eventually sold. Silly me. As I've said a number of times my biggest mistakes have been "selling" ones!

5. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

upload_2016-9-18_21-24-36.png

Close to 52 week low. Buying opportunities?

6. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

Next week there will be a couple of events: Bank of Japan decision on rates then US Fed rates decision and NZ rates decision so there might be more movements to keep an eye on

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Based on adjusted NTA since previous month's end it's at a bit of a premium. But if you're buying it as a long term holding paying a few cents more for it is unlikely to matter too much.

I'd like to see it closer to $1.50 as a start. But I already have a reasonable holding.

Given the US central bank's impending decision this week and upcoming US election God knows what the market will do. My crystal ball is unreliable unfortunately. If I had to take a guess there may be the possibility of a correction in the next month or two. But a guess is all it is!

1,028 people like this.
  8. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

austing,

i have a modest holding in this , bought recently ( cum-div. )

your $1.50 looks possible ( but not certain)

somewhere close to $1.50 would have me considering adding extras as well .

how the shareholder's react if the market corrects will be important hear , it may become a de-facto safe(r ) haven in a rout .

i find boring and disaster-resistant attractive in this LIC ( i hope the market thinks differently )

4 people like this.
  9. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

austing ,

all the clever investors have some regrets , they make errors and learn from them ( as best they can )

without saying you should buy it ... watch NHC , it is diversifying in some careful but interesting moves

10. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to post ASX updates here, but BKI just made an interesting announcement. They are externalising management, even though it's the same management personnel. One of the reasons given was to preserve their low MER. According to the announcement, they are capping the MER at 0.1%. This is very, very low and even lower than it was, from memory!

6 people like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Uummm, very interesting. Will take a look. First WHF, now BKI.

All sounds a bit strange. Will reserve further comment until I've investigated and / or others here can offer further info.

Here's the announcement:

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20160926/pdf/43bg9ht9mysy6b.pdf

12. Il Falco

Il Falco Active Member

Quick look through, its the management fee at 0.10% , not the MER. Sounds like a possible stitch up, what are the other costs being borne by BKI currently (need to look through the annual report).

13. Il Falco

Il Falco Active Member

There is a difference between a management fee and MER ;)

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Ah yes. All company related fees INCLUDING DIRECTORS RENUMERATION, accounting, auditing, admin, share registry, insurance and brokerage fees are to be paid by BKI NOT THE NEW EXTERNAL MANAGER.

The external mgr's main expense are travel, research and analysis, marketing and office expenses.

So yes it's a bit of a stitch up. But that said the overall MER is likely to continue to be competitive. However as FUM grow "CONTACT" owners (including SOL) are likely to be better rewarded compared to if the LIC management was kept in-house.

I wouldn't be surprised also if CONTACT does like WHITEFIELD and use the management company to offer other services to facilitate multiple streams of income into a single structure.

Uuummmm suddenly the GENUINE oldies like AFI and ARG are looking more honest!

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Sep, 2016
  15. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Management fee is going to be ~1 million pesos per annum (paid monthly). Still a good chunk of cash out.

pinkboy

16. Il Falco

Il Falco Active Member

The big winner is Will Culbert. And good on him. The Millners must like him and want him in the stable.

2 people like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Last year's "internal" expenses for BKI were $1.479 Mil of which a reasonable amount will still be paid by BKI in addition to the 0.10% external management fee of around $1 mil. So I doubt it's going to be as cheap as the current internal MER of around 0.16%?

But keeping this all in perspective it's still damn cheap compared to the new breed external Mgrs.

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Sep, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. BingoMaster

BingoMaster Well-Known Member

Oh... thanks for clarifying that @Il Falco - i just glanced at it quickly

19. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Apologies for being a pain but, I don't understand what the implications are, when it looks like it is the same folks running it?

Thanks.

20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The main issue is usually fees. External Mgrs tend to have noticeably higher fees than internally managed LICs. Internally managed LICs employ their own staff and all profits go to shareholders. In this case the MER may reduce as FUM increase.

With an external mgr there is a high probability of more of the profits going to to the mgr given their fee is fixed. As FUM increase the fee can't reduce as it is set in stone as per the management agreement.

However the fee being charged by BKI's new external mgr is quite low. My guess is that under the old internal arrangement the MER with increase in FUM overtime may have reduced to say 0.12 - 0.14%. However under the new agreement it's MER is probably more likely to sit around the 0.16 - 0.18% range. Time will tell, I may be completely wrong.

2 people like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia