BKI Announces payment of another Special Dividend

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Synergy, 18th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

2. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Funny how the announcement is made and then the share price takes off. More buyers than sellers.

blackrocky and Snowball like this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Harvesters at work? Not sure about any long term benefit to the LIC:rolleyes:!

Observer likes this.
  4. Observer

Observer Well-Known Member

To me looks like a good time to get out as the price takes off (compared to the other LICs). May replace it with something more trustworthy in the long term ;).

5. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

People get excited when a long term underperforming manager decides to give them some of their money back.

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I suppose one can take a positive view in that your not paying brokerage on your return of capital. Then again if you need to reinvest it:confused:?

The Falcon likes this.
  7. Synergy

can i ask whats wrong with bki? why are they untrustworthy?

8. Observer

@Synergy Cap raising and the terms of it (at significant discount and open to everyone resulting in dilution of existing share holders). I think that was back in June 2018. Been discussed on here quite a few times. Thus, some are quite skeptical as to what stops them to do it again in future. Also, they've made their management external, the fee increased a bit. Things like that do not make them look good compared to the other old LICs.

oracle likes this.
  9. Synergy

Oh i see, when did they make management external i thought the millners still ran it?

What is your fav lic and why?

10. Observer

@Synergy Not sure about the date, likely some time in 2018.

I did not mind putting some money in this LIC in my super at one stage. But it's never been a major/fav holding. Because of those recent developments I've decided to dispose of it and put the money in some other old LICs or VAS.

11. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

Anyone hazard a guess as to whether BKI's dividend is fully priced in yet or does it tend to increase in price near ex-dividend date?

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The Millner's still have "some" involvement.

Directors

Robert Dobson Millner
    David Capp Hall
    Alexander James Payne
    Ian Thomas Huntley

Investment Manager
    Contact Asset Management Pty Limited

Tom Millner - Portfolio Manager
    Will Culbert - Portfolio Manager

Froxy likes this.
  13. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Ian Huntley, I think he was with Morningstar and ran several portfolios with their subscription service. From memory he was a wide moat type of investor (Buffett).

14. SatayKing

Ian Thomas Huntley - Biography

15. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

That's a lot of stock he has.
    Checked the annual report to confirm.
    R. Millner has 8,476,085
    I. Huntley 11,224,980

Anne11 likes this.
  16. Synergy

does bki get no love from here? guess ill put my next parcel on milton since i didnt know bki went external

17. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

From my observations over time there has been a shift from direct shares/managed funds/LIC's to a preference for ETF"s (for good reasons).
    Just the vibe I have been getting.

18. SatayKing

Only do that if your not comfortable with the situation @Synergy. The views on here are only opinions. If they don't prefer BKI doesn't mean you shouldn't be if it suits you as an investment. Absolutely nothing wrong with their holdings really in my view.

It matters not on whit what others think. They ain't investing your funds. You are.

Sometimes it's good to sit back and mull things over. I have said this previously but may as well say it again.

There are about 17,000 members of this site. Only some may be active and of those only a few have any interest in shares. That is relatively only a very small number of those who invest in shares. Their views, and mine included, account for nothing overall. So whatever the flavour of the views on a particular share or LIC or ETF it's only one or two opinions and that is the extent of it.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2019
    Ynot, blackrocky, Jaik2012 and 11 others like this.
  19. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

Agree, I hold BKI and from my perspective I was looking for another LIC as an alternative management style to AFI. BKI fits in my portfolio with what I am comfortable with.

sharon, Anne11 and Nodrog like this.
  20. SatayKing

It tends to be one of those things. Don't really know why it happens but when a share or the managements falls out of favour for whatever reason, everybody is all over it like a rash and that can have a result of influencing others it's a bad deal.

When I disposed of BKI it was for a variety of reasons but mainly I had too many separate holdings and I was tired of dealing with the number despite it not being overly onerous.

As an aside I believe Huntley Investments also holds a swag of BKI. Wonder if that is included in the 11m you mentioned.

PS: I'm in a really ****** mood after an appalling lunch. The food was awful and lukewarm. Thanks for your commiserations. I'll get over it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 20th Jul, 2019
    Ynot, sharon, Globetrekker and 3 others like this.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.