Bizarre tradesman experience

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jess Peletier, 2nd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We're renovating a house at the moment, and have a patio that has a floor of those square concrete pavers, many of which where broken and uneven so we asked for quotes to relay them.

We got this funny italian guy to come quote. Could not understand a word he said, so basically agreed on the work through mime and the odd decipherable word. He wanted cash, we said no, he said he would get us an invoice an we said okay. Later texted him not to come as hubby had changed his mind and was going to do it himself. He leaves message on phone saying something about an invoice or something - too hard to understand.

Next day, guy does work anyway while we're not at the house. Problem is he does a crap job. Now he's sent me a receipt with ABN, made out to Jeny, with bank details but no bsb, plus charged me for new pavers when we agreed he'd use existing from another area in the house.

I'm all for paying for work that's been done, but this is a bit awkward!

Esh likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have you kept the text you sent him saying not to do the job? How much is his account? How bad is the job?

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Cash is king Jenny! Lesson learnt.

Did you see him with a mobile phone? Or from yout "talk" expect him to be able to read texts

Jess Peletier likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

When all else fails, Google Translate!! :p

The Y-man

5. Jess Peletier

It's pretty crap. It looks like I did it :) The account is $550, so not a lot but a lot for the work we got, and more expensive b/c we won't be able to claim it.

My assistant got us onto him through an actual company so I'm going to follow up through them. I'm happy to pay an adjusted rate through the books, I don't want him to work for nothing but fairs fair.

6. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Unfortunately communication is very important in all aspects of business. Doing business with someone who doesn't speak english can result in different expected outcomes.
    Some of the best tilers and concretors I have dealt with couldn't speak English very well usually Italian or South American. But it's important to repeat what you want several times until it's made crystal clear what you want done. Also be careful when something sounds too cheap. If a trades person has quoted too cheap there is a good chance the end product is going to be of cheap quality or he might use 2nd hand materials that he sourced from another job for FREE.

7. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

How crap is crap? Do they need to be picked up and relaid If you are not happy get him back to fix it up. Are they glued down or on sand or mortar base? Don't pay for something that A) You told him not to do and B) Didn't follow instructions, use tiles from another area and C) Crappy job.

8. Jess Peletier

They're better than they were so that's something. I ended up negotiating a lower price, but it was just an all round bizarre experience!

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I had a very bizarre experience with a 'tradie' coming to gyprock the bathroom. He was organised through the builder in a sms message... this guy came to the place and could not speak English...The builder had to call me to talk to him cos he knew I speak Mandarin. When I saw this guy....I was really worried he would not be able to do the job properly.. he looked so nervous and little lost but he assured me he can do it. I watched him measure and cut.. measure and cut looking perplexed... I came back that night and to my amazement he did a great job! Very bizarre..and poor bugger he had to go to Bunnings to actually buy tools for the job that day....:eek:o_O

Totally_Smeng likes this.
  10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Jess happy to translate if you need me

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, that is a bit odd.
    Did they end up coming back to fix it up?

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Jess Peletier didn't you know that the guy was a con? All the old European tilers have retired ordied years ago. The better tilers nowadays are the Koreans or @pinkboy (don't know if he's Korean).

13. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

You are so right!

14. jim1964

jim1964 1941

This used to really annoy me in business,anyone in business,including yourself i would think would prefer a courteous call to cancell.If i set up a appointment with you, and change my mind and just flick over a text wouldn't you think it was a bit rude. Maybe i am old school, but i would always call, and give the reason.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  15. Jess Peletier

I totally agree - the only reason i texted was because I literally couldn't understand him. I thought written communication might be easier.

legallyblonde likes this.
  16. Jess Peletier

I actually don't know what language he speaks - I thought Italian but could be completely wrong! It's all sorted now but thanks for offering :)

17. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Never ever assume.

18. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Because it makes an "ass of you and me" :)

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Jess Peletier - never assume that just because the guy's name was Mario GianPietro Dell'acqua that he actually speaks Italian. ;)

TheGreenLeaf and Jess Peletier like this.
  20. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not Korean.

Good though :cool:!

pinkboy