Binding Financial Agreements and Family Court

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by 2935, 12th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Yep, pretty much teh standard formula of how ive seen it as well.
    i also have seen as soon as they get knocked up they use that for sympathy and accuse husband of domestic violence, get a clean cut divorce, and then got a richer guy, because for the most part the guy that imported them over into australia is probably financially poor to average.

edit: think of it this way, single pension is like $250-$300 per week, the average salary for them back at home might be $80 per week, thats 3-4 times their salary of freebies!! Id be tempted too:)

Perthguy and Marg4000 like this.
  2. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Im finding that even multi site builds, the cost of land has gone up to a point that the margins are below 10% and thats if there are no delays or nasty surprises

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Wrong thread?

TMNT likes this.
  4. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

omg! I swear I wasnt drunk when I posted that.......... promise

Marg4000 and Perthguy like this.
  5. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Well I guess could just move to the Phillipines and have kids. Hopefully without to many worries about Child Support and getting cleaned out in a divorce.
    If it doesn't work out I'll just come home to OZ and sent her $400 per month if we have kids. This is well over 4x her salary now.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

If it comes to that, it depends on what she's asking for and how she justifies it. Then negotiate. She'll use a lawyer for sure to advise.

The aforementioned scenarios are not uncommon. Time will tell.

7. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Yeah I hear you Larry. Problem is she just turned 19 and wants kids now. So I will comply and have some with her. I think I may just leave her with her mum and dad or build her a house next door after she gives birth (her sister has 9 kids and she wants at least the same number so should get interesting). Then the plan is for me to spend 3 months here and 3 months in the PI. Yeah doomed to failure but it gets me out the house anyway.

Should be an interesting retirement.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

So you're worried about your finances but you've also decided to acquiesce to your partner's request to have a whole bunch of kids straight away....?

And also after all your concerns, are you even going to get any legal advice?

I just notice that lots of people in your situation talk big about getting a BFA and pooh-poohing family law - and then don't even get the basic advice on how it even works at first instance and the basic steps they can take to 'protect' themselves.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Just because she is overseas doesn't mean Australian laws won't apply.
    She could still make a property settlement claim from over there. and she could claim child support if the Philipines is on the list of countries which australia has an agreement with.
    Legal Tip 33: Fathered a child overseas?

Then you have to consider the potential claims at death. She would be an 'eligible' person under NSW law so she could make a claim against your will if what you leave her is not adequate.
    Legal Tip 50: Family Provision Claims Against Estates https://propertychat.com.au/community/threads/legal-tip-50-family-provision-claims-against-estates.2510/

She could make a claim against assets of any trust in which you are trustee or an appointor, your super, properties owned as a joint tenant etc. (notional estate orders) (I think I have written on this before but cannot find the post)

Perthguy likes this.
  10. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I think your and my definitions of "interesting" differ greatly!!!!!!

At least it sounds like you are not a very attached to your assets - probably a very good thing.

Good luck.

11. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

Hi TerryW.
    She lives in the Phillipines and the Phillipines is on the list of countries with a reciprocating agreement with Australia.
    So I vuess I will be up for full child support....BUT what if I gained New Zealand Citizenship and renounced my Australian Citizenship...would that be an advantage?

12. Terry_w

Then you would be subject to Australian and NZ laws - and Philipines.

What about your assets in Australia? Even a non-citizen's assets here can be subject to a property settlement. I guess also that assets you own overseas could be taken into account in family law proceedings here.

13. Kirsti327

Kirsti327 Well-Known Member

It's a sad world where keeping the things that you and you alone have worked hard and sacrificed for before entering the relationship would not be considered 'just and equitable'.

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Indeed. A close friend of mine worked hard and bought a house in one of the better suburbs of Adelaide. Then she married a drop kick and had kids
    Now they have separated, drop kick can take her for half her house and super. Even though she paid his mortgage when they were together. It's disgusting really

15. Kirsti327

Kirsti327 Well-Known Member

Disgusting and kind of terrifying. It's enough to make you swear off relationships altogether.

eg for myself right now, my partner has a good job but spends all his income on 'toys' (cars, computers and so forth) and generally spends his time outside work enjoying life, while I spend hours every week researching investments and invest 75% of my income while sacrificing to keep my costs down.
    We contribute equally to all household expenses and I would like to think that over and above that, whatever we earn is our own and he would ultimately keeps the toys that he buys while the effort and sacrifices I'm making to invest now will be for my benefit alone.
    But from cases I've seen the Family Court seem to defy logic when making awards. BFAs seem to be far too easy to overturn, which makes them almost worthless in my opinion. You're still relying on the good nature of your partner to not try to claim more than what is fair and/or previously agreed.

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Terry_w

But there are plenty of cases where BFAs are not overturned - like all contracts you only hear of the disputes that get to court.

There are also plenty of cases where the assets of the parties are not readjusted. There was one I posted a few months ago with invovled two woman who had been together for over 20 years and had kept their finances separate. One wanted more and the court said no!

Perthguy and RPI like this.
  17. Abooking

Abooking Well-Known Member

If Im a non resident for tax purposes and I live in the land of smiles. If I get married and have a child. Then divorce. Can 'the wife' go after my oz assets according to family law in Australia?

18. Terry_w

Yes

19. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

This is a no brainer case for lease not buy.

Upside risk very little, downside risk significant and highly likely to eventuate.

Let us know how you get on in a few years!

20. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

Seems there is no way to protect ur assets when there is a failure in relationship