Education Bill Bernstein Interview

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Nodrog, 19th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Hodor, The Falcon, ChrisP73 and 2 others like this.
  2. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

I think Bernstein has not been very fond of EM for a while. In most his podcasts he mentions historically EM has had a lower returns compared to DM due to share dilutions (specifically China). He also doesn't trust these countries to act in the best interest of foreign shareholders.

However I don't think he is completely against EM as he still recommends it for diversification/rebalancing purposes. I believe he has said previously that he thinks EM is more fairly valued at the moment compared to the US markets, and thus expected future returns should be higher at least in the short to medium term.

Nodrog likes this.
  3. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Actually he’s still believes EM should generally be in the portfolio but purchased when it’s undervalued. This could be considered market timing but given the relatively poor performance of EM vs Developed he appears to be more inclined to take this approach as opposed to regular rebalancing. That’s my interpretation which might be incorrect.

I don’t like EM so I liked his view as it feeds into my confirmation bias:).

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Listened to this. Very hard to argue with Bernstein. Looking at the way the world is going, the narrative around CCP China liberalising has proven false....not hard to conceive a time when foreign (read US custodian) assets are appropriated. I see increasing risk in multi country EM vehicles where China exposure is high...question is, are you adequately compensated for that risk? Not sure.

Nodrog likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes interesting to hear you view, perhaps a bit more cautious than previous?

I do not like the way China is heading at all. My view on EM has not changed. If anything my conviction for not needing it in our portfolio has gotten even stronger.

I don’t believe investors are adequately compensated for risk. And EM sharemarkets don’t necessarily reward investors with the same benefit of growth in their actual economies.

Further unless an investor holds a large enough allocation to EM then it’s hardly going to make much difference overall. Which it then comes down to the question “are you willing to take potentially unrewarded risk in holding a sizeable enough exposure to EM”? For me that’s a big fat NO. Beside it’s one less holding in our portfolio which I like from a simplification perspective.

I go back to the view that ironically I’ve seen from some immigrants out of the likes of China that they prefer the safety of “developed” markets. When a EM has proven itself worthy of inclusion in the Developed Market Index (robust regulatory environment and rule of law etc) then these investors like me will be happy to own it. Ironically it’s returns might be higher than compared to when it was an EM even without taking risk into account.

Last edited: 22nd Jun, 2019 at 11:37 AM
    Froxy and Burgs like this.
  6. The Falcon

@Nodrog I’m torn on the issue. 5-10% portfolio range I think is OK but no more. Load up on VGS and you get a LOT of Japan, is that a good bet? I think you’ll always be uncomfortable with a portion of the portfolio if properly diversified.

Burgs and Nodrog like this.
  7. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

I sold out of VAE recently and bought more IJR.

Main reason I am bit concerned about China. It might sound strange but I was feeling do I really need so much diversification and thirdly it was also the costs at 0.4% in my books not cheap enough.

So for me it’s Australia and US (IVV + IJR).

IVV gives US plus some overseas exposure
    IJR gives mostly domestic US

Happy with these two markets only in terms of diversification.

Cheers
    Oracle

Nodrog, Snowball and ChrisP73 like this.
  8. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Great discussion.

I just can't be bothered with EM currently, I do enjoy the growth story and I am often tempted. VAS and some LICs along with VGS gives me enough sleep at night. Hopefully it will prove to be 80% right in the long run.

Froxy, Burgs, mdk and 3 others like this.
  9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

International stocks outperformed the US over the period 2001 to 2008 and with the US currently at nosebleed levels, at some stage I expect international will have another good run

ChrisP73 likes this.
  10. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

With 50% VGS you’d have just 4.2% Japan in the portfolio, that doesn’t seem like much overall.

And wouldn’t Japan’s negatives be well known and factored in?

Curious on your thoughts.

11. The Falcon

@Snowball I suppose that’s one way to think of it. 8.4% position size in VGS, used to be a bit higher. I suppose the point is it’s not a market I’m bullish on, but hold it anyway. If you are well diversified there will always be components that you don’t like, but trust the market to get it broadly right over time.

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

As least with Japan you’re not likely to lose your assets.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2019-6-24_13-16-45.png

VTS ASX last 5 years

Hodor likes this.
  15. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

For a number of reasons suggested, there's a valid argument for the el-cheapo MER Aus-domiciled portfolio of:
    A200 + IVV + IJJ + IJR

You may not cover EM, Europe or REIT directly, but indirectly there is exposure.

oracle likes this.