Health & Family Bike riding

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Blacky, 24th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

If you consider the wheels that Wheeler is a good buy even if groupset is an older model.
    I don't even own one and I am stripping the parts off for a custom frame build.

Blacky likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You should have seen my Strava times drop as I lost weight!

Unless you are already at your ideal weight, getting a lighter/better bike is not necessarily the most effective means of going faster.

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

You should look at one of these recumbents....ICE Trice T...they can go fast with the right "engine"...
    Almost 10 yrs old, 81 gears, +30,000km
    No sore bums or wrists + you get to see everything without a stiff neck...:D
    Bush.jpg

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is that @Gockie's uncycle with training wheels on the front? :p

5. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

I do around 140km per week on one of these with gator skin road tyres commuting most days to work. What I liked about it was the 105 group set, the disc brakes and the alloy frame.

TCX SLR 2 (2018) | Men Cyclocross bike | Giant Bicycles Australia

Can handle 30km/h pretty easily, but I may upgrade to a pure road bike in the future, would prefer a bigger front sprocket and road wheels + thinner tyres and a carbon frame.

TCR Advanced 2 Disc (2019) | Men Race bike | Giant Bicycles Australia

After having a previous carbon bike frame crack, what I love about Giant is the lifetime frame warranty, plus my local bike shop is Giant and they're great guys.

6. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

We did the Sydney M7 yesterday (well 3/4 of it, me on unicycle and Mrs 2dogs on 2 wheels) and met such a variety bikes and riders. From a guy with an $8k bike that he proudly rode a whole 30km on, to another who was at least 150 kg but still rode the whole cycle path (and more maybe), to a couple of guys on 3 wheeled, arm peddled machines. I assume they can't use their legs but they sure could go some distance and get some speed, not so good on hills however. It was good to see people on a stranger rides than my unicycle.

There is no one bike (or unicycle/tricycle) rider or type of gear and really just getting out there is good enough.

I'm always amazed at what people will spend to save 1 kg of bike, but maybe not think about the difference their much their own weight will make. No criticisms here, just interesting behavior.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Blacky and Gockie like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Better still, take a leaf out of @Gockie's book, lose 4-5 kg by getting rid of half of the bike frame, one wheel, brakes & gears.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

@TwoDogs is quite the unicyclist.... He does distances people usually do on 2 wheels on 1 regularly.

11. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Though I would just tack on to this thread instead of starting a new one...

I had been slacking off with my cycling, but started a new job in August and very conveniently it is an ~11km commute to work. I have been going in to the office 3 days a week, pretty much just for the commute. It has been great to get back in to some regular cycling.

Anyway, I have been doing the Great Cycle Challenge in October the last few years, and as part of that, last weekend I rode the Fernleigh Track (Newcastle) all day (well, for 10hrs, anyway). Managed to rack up 200.1km, which is by far my longest ride ever! Pretty damn happy with the effort, and actually surprised at my recovery. I rode to work mon+tue, and was indeed slow and fatigued, but thats to be expected I guess!

I rode my gravel bike, but at least put some slick tyres on it. I had been thinking about getting a "proper" road bike, but I enjoy the gravel bike so much I dont think I'll bother.

Scott No Mates and Simon Hampel like this.
  12. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Awesome effort mate. That is a huge ride. Anything else planned?

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've been riding my bike to Little Athletics at 6am on Saturday mornings to help with setup - that's only about 6km away though.

I've been too scared to go off road on my ageing hard tail - I think the front fork is about to die, but I don't want to spend any more money on the bike given its age and the fact that I've been wanting to upgrade for years now - would rather put that money towards upgrades.

The new range of Stumpy's just got released yesterday - I'm thinking I might get one of the cheapest alloy models and throw an SLX groupset on it - I think that will keep me going for a few more years yet. Might go talk to my LBS about getting a demo model or two to ride so I can work out which size to get.

Shogun and inertia like this.
  14. inertia

Its funny, I had not really though much beyond that ride, and even for that I didnt really expect to make it to the 200km. I've ridden 100miles before, and figured I could crawl to that if I needed to, but Id had a bit of manflu (confirmed not Covid!) during the week and had barely left the house, so was a little concerned about my endurance.

I'll continue with my commutes, and do some longer detours to work on 2 of those days, and look to pick up some extra rides on the weekends. Last day of October is a Saturday, and while i don't think a full day out on the bike will be tolerated by the family (my wifes birthday that week!) perhaps I should at the very least target 100 miles for the last day!

15. inertia

That's a fairly cost effective way to get a decent bike and running gear. I am not a fan of the current SRAM stuff - but it seems to hit a better price point for bike builders. I am also not a fan of the local Specialized dealer unfortunately.

A mate has just ordered a Canyon Neuron CF9. Very good bang for buck by the looks of things. I will be very interested to see it in the flesh.

I'd like a new mtb, but it really cannot be justified. I really like my Yeti SB95, just wish it was able to carry a bottle inside the triangle #firstworldproblems . And besides, I'm riding my gravel bike way more anyway...

Cheers,
    Inertia.