Health & Family Biggest Loser Winter 2017

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

While I'd love to drop another 10kg.....it really doesn't worry me that much now that most of the weight has gone. My main concern is eating in a way that keeps my blood sugar in check.....and if that means that I'm 10kg than optimal, well, so be it.

My blood sugar has been good for 6 months & my readings are in the non-diabetic range, but I'm fully aware that although 'normal', I will never really be normal, especially if I overindulge in carby foods. My biggest stumbling blocks are social events & holidays. I'm getting better at these, but I have trouble seeing other people enjoying something, knowing that I can't, or shouldn't.

Simon Hampel and wylie like this.
  2. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

@wylie how are you tracking your calories?

The chances are that if you and @skater aren't losing weight at around 1000 kcal per day, you're probably underestimating how much you're consuming. Don't feel too bad, apparently even dieticians (who should know better) do it.

There's a bit of a discussion at Food For Fitness that might help.

The other possibility is that you're having a stall, because, for example, your body's holding water. I ran a diet about a year ago, and spent a month stuck at 103 kg. The next month I dropped three or four kilos.

Lastly, progress tends to be a bit of a zigzag. If you look at the graph below, the dark blue line is the trend, but the light blue is the plot of actual measurements. So weight loss can be obfuscated by short-term fluctuations.

Screenshot_20170707-220953.png

Incidentally, the big jump up in weight during late 2015 and early 2016 was probably due to me coming off antidepressants. I stopped an SSRI in November 2016, the low point was actually when I came out of hospital for surgery.

This year's rise is probably due to fixing a hormonal problem. Some of the gain is lean mass as a result.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Thanks @Graeme. I use FatSecret which I find very accurate and I weigh everything I eat. Some people would think that is taking things too far, but I'm determined and weighing ingredients as I make up our dinner is easy. We eat fairly simply, so weighing is simple.

When I eat out, I tend to over-estimate the portion. I'm very aware of counting absolutely everything most days.

I quite enjoy the process (strange as that might sound to others). I feel like I'm exercising some control over my food.

My weight can fluctuate up to 500g daily, so I jump on the scales every morning. If I do this, and have eaten more the day before, I find it motivates me to watch everything carefully the following day. I don't expect to never have the scales go up all the time, and when I looked back at my records today, I do realise we've eaten out a bit, which partly explains my plateau.

And whilst I quite enjoy keeping a record, I also don't say no to a meal out with family or friends, but I don't go overboard. I enjoy my food. I try to keep a balance.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

How about just weighing yourself once a week instead of every day? Although I've been weighing myself every day recently to get a feel for how I'm progressing, usually I only weigh myself Sunday morning first thing before I have anything to eat or drink (but after I've been to the toilet) - that way I get a fairly consistent result.

I did read an article which suggested that people obsessing over measuring everything can start to become an eating disorder. I'm not suggesting any of us are at that point - but there is a point where it becomes too much - especially if it starts to affect your mood rather than being a simple analytical data point.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I don't underestimate at all. I'm a rather small person, so my needs aren't as high as someone like @Simon Hampel who towers above me. Like I said, I'm not tracking calories at this point, only carbs, so it is possible that I'm eating more than I need, however in the past when I have tracked calories, I've found it easy to stay under 1000 per day. I don't lose weight on this.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Has anyone watched "fit to fat to fit" - an American program where the personal trainers try to put on weight only to try to lose it again with the clients. I've seen one show where the trainer went from a 6 pack to a beer gut putting on 60 pounds - which I think is about 30 kg.

Interesting show.

7. wylie

I need the driver of a daily weigh-in. It keeps me on track. When I used to weigh once a week, I felt overwhelmed by having to "catch up" if I'd put on weight.

Being 500g heavier one day isn't an issue for me, and quite normal. I know it is likely the next morning I'll be 500g lighter. It is the fact I'm not dropping at all (apart from those normal daily fluctuations) that annoys me the most, especially when I'm trying hard.

I'll never have an eating disorder. And it doesn't affect my mood. It annoys the crap out of me, but doesn't "colour" the rest of my mood.

But I acknowledge for some this could be a trigger. Certainly not for me.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

This morning's stats :(

upload_2017-7-17_16-16-59.png

Slightly surprised but not really. This past week my routine has been all out of sorts but it's been a good learning experience as it's confirmed what I thought works for me.

Ordinarily I eat when I'm hungry and normally stick to <25g of carbs for the day. This past week we've been camping and doing things during the day so have been eating as soon as we get up around 6am (I usually have my first meal 11am-1pm during the day). Breakfast was usually scrambled eggs and bacon so that's ok. Everyday except for 1 we were out on the boat fishing. I grazed during the day which was usually cashews and soy crisps. Dinner every night except for 1 was a carb fest and I found myself over eating as I hate waste so was having bigger portions just to get rid of the food I cooked as we couldn't keep the leftovers.

Right now I feel blech and gross. Back to normal today though so next Monday should be a lot better.

9. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

101.5 kg this morning.

My PT sent me a message that she's been in an accident, and broken a few bones. It turns out that she fractured her wrist, heel, and a couple of vertebrae. She's off her feet for the next three months, and going stir crazy in the Royal Melbourne. :(

10. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Lost 2.2kg last week due to 5 days of trekking to altitude in Kenya :D

geoffw likes this.
  11. wylie

60.7 this morning. I'm going to be the biggest gainer :(

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

62.4 Ho hum.....not much happening.

13. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Aaand today:
    upload_2017-7-24_9-7-32.png

Not too bad overall considering I did no exercise during the week. As much as I love camping and boating it doesn't agree with my dodgy back and from Mon-Thurs I could barely walk let alone exercise. Starting to come good now but still can't bend over (why there's no calf measurement).

Food-wise was ok. A bit bad on Monday and Tuesday but good for the rest of the week.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm back to 63 this morning, and out for the next two weeks as I'll be overseas. Leaving in a few hours.

15. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

101.8 kg today, the lowest I saw was 101 kg at the end of last week, so I think that I'm going in the right direction.

I had my first full week of training in about a month last week. Apart for an iffy legs session on Tuesday, it went well. Lifts seem to be about where they were before I ran into the asthma, which is a good sign.

16. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

100.9 kg. I've basically stalled for the last fortnight. It's at times like this I really hate dieting! :(

Training has been on point this week. Diet has been good, except for a meal out on Saturday evening with a friend.

I'm throwing in a fast today, and then a refeed tomorrow in a bid to get things moving again. I'll see how it goes.

17. wylie

Yesterday I was 60.0kg. Today I'm 60.7kg. :mad:

18. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I know that feeling well! :D

19. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

6/6 88.2kg
    19/6 88.8kg
    3/7 87.4kg
    7/8 85.4kg

Simon Hampel likes this.
  20. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

100.4 kg today. Though I did see 99.9 kg in the middle of last week.

@Bargain Hunter you're going well there. :)