Health & Family Biggest Loser Winter 2017

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 31st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Here is this morning's stats:
    upload_2017-7-3_11-19-15.png

Tiny loss and not much change overall.

Bit of a mixed bag week for me. Overall eating was reasonably good with only 2 carb laden meals. Couple of labour intensive days where I volunteered to dig 2x 30m, 20mm x 20mm drainage trenches then shovel riverstone into them. A couple of other exercise days thrown in too.

I weighed myself yesterday morning and I was 62kg even then last night my willpower was lacking and had dinner at Schnitz for the first time since it opened in Cairns. I massively over ate where I had a wrap and small chips but that was enough for a decent gain over night.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Weight: 112.7kg
    Waist: 119cm

upload_2017-7-3_11-54-59.png

Last week started well, but with some very long hours over the 2nd half of the week leading up to EoFY, I tended to opt for convenience rather than optimal eating (plus a bit of junk for good measure), and so I ended up putting on a little weight for the week overall.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I'm not! :( Back up to 63kg. Grrrr

4. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I've not been keeping up with this. Other things have been going on, and I was ill last week. :(

My weight this morning was 102.9 kg, but it's fluctuated between about 103 and 105 kg for the last fortnight,so I don't know if it's a trend or a one-off.

I've got my diet under some sort of control now despite eating a big lump of chocolate today. I logged 2521 calories (split 39% carbs, 25% fat, 36% protein).

I'm going to try to hit the gym five times a week for weights sessions. I want to add in cardio too, but my lungs are currently playing up. Asthma and colds are a bad combination.

5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

upload_2017-7-10_7-57-3.png

I'm a bit surprised by this as my eating has been ok for the week but only a couple of home based exercise 'sessions'. I did have a small serve of gnocchi and dessert last night.

Next Monday should be interesting... going camping on Tuesday until Sunday night and will be having a rather sedate few days which will include sitting in a 4wd, sitting in a boat, sitting by the river reading my book, sitting near my camera while I take photos :D I might have to outrun a croc or 2 so that should get the heart rate up.

6. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

@Kinnon Bell I find weight loss often involves no movement, and then a sudden, large drop. Then again, I can vary by a couple of kilos per day. Well done, though. :)

My weight this morning was 102.6 kg, I was 102.4 kg on Saturday, but bounced up slightly.

Incidentally, since I'm missing previous weigh-ins, here are the numbers:
    • 12/06/17 - 103.8 kg
    • 19/06/17 - 104.1 kg
    • 26/06/17 - 103.6 kg

7. Simon Hampel

Weight: 111.8kg
    Waist: 118.5cm

upload_2017-7-10_13-12-53.png

Had a pretty good week overall.

In-laws have been staying to help look after the kids during the holidays, so have had a little more time to do meal preparation.

Haven't done any real exercise this week, other than walking to get lunch and walking to the shops. I did ride on Saturday to the park with the kids - but that was pretty sedate, didn't really get my heart rate up much.

Bayview likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm 60.3 this morning. Really, really sick of trying hard and not seeing any results.

9. Simon Hampel

Perhaps you need a different approach? What is your strategy?

There are some really interesting videos on the DietDoctor website about weight loss struggles of women 50+ ... although you do have to be a member to view them - and of course, they advocate a low carb diet for weight control.

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

62.5 It seems like that's as low as it's going to go. Grrrrr.
    I know what you mean. I've been hovering around 62-64kg for around 6 months now. I would prefer that it go down some more.....but it's not moving.

11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Missed this one by the looks - I'm at an all time high of 111kgs. Fit, just not light! Given I do 2 hours of HIIT type martial arts every night, it goes to show the value of weight training IMO

12. Simon Hampel

It seems you're not alone.

upload_2017-7-11_8-34-37.png

In an interview on that website with Jacqueline Eberstein (members only) - a Registered Nurse who worked with Dr. Atkins for 3 decades says that she herself needs to stay under 20g of carbs per day to maintain her weight. She hasn't done intermittent fasting herself, but has heard that it does work for some people too.

She stresses that you possibly need to do an occasional audit of exactly how many carbs you are consuming because sometimes you end up having a lot more than you think you are (carbohydrate creep) - and it only takes a slight increase in carbs sneaking in to drop you out of the weight loss zone and so you don't make progress.

13. wylie

I've lost weight on a low carb keto diet (probably 15 years ago) and since your posting about low carbs, I've been tweaking my intake to lessen the carbs and make up the balance with more good fat. It still isn't working. I have to stick with 900 calories to 1100 calories (if I do an hour's exercise) per day or I put on weight.

I've also lost weight probably 18 years ago with WW. And twice I've gone to the ULCD bars but they are heavy with sugar, and I can eat 800 calories with good food, so I don't want to go back to the bars. I'd rather eat normal food.

But since menopause, everything seems to have changed.

900 calories is almost ULCD but it seems the hormonal changes are fighting me. I'm seeing the dietitian tomorrow after not being able to get to him for three months, so will discuss this again.

And I eat very well. It is fairly easy to stick to about 1000 calories a day for me and not feel hungry.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Simon, I'm very strict about staying under 20gms carbs per day, due to the diabetes. That's the only macros I count at the moment, and it is a rare day that I go over that. I'm thinking that I may have to look at the calorie count as well....but really reluctant to go there. I know I can easily cut to under 1000 per day, as like Wylie, I've lived on that number for a long time, but now that I've upped the fat intake, it doesn't take much to go over 1000 calories. I'm eating more cheese, bacon & cream than I ever have (before diabetes, that is) & they are very heavy on the calories.

15. Simon Hampel

It could be that you're simply having too many carbs still. Have you done an audit to see how much you're actually having?

I lost lots of weight initially aiming for under 50g per day, but then plateaued, so now I've had to drop it to 20g per day (ketogenic) to try and make progress again.

My recent exercise of documenting everything I ate was quite informative because it showed me how carb creep was causing me to consume quite a bit more carbs than I thought I was.

From what I understand about menopause in women - you may have to get quite strict to maintain progress. Even as much as 25g of carbs a day may stop your progress - you need to go really low to actually keep losing weight. Of course, I'm no expert on the subject - this is just what I've read or seen in interviews.

Also - watch out for artificial sweeteners. There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that in some women (more so than men) certain sweeteners can cause an insulin response which leads to weight gain.

16. Simon Hampel

Have you tried intermittent fasting?

Do you test your blood sugar levels? If so, have you also tried measuring ketone levels to see if you're actually in ketosis? (need a special testing device for this - most don't do ketones).

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yes, I fast regularly.....but not long fasts. We try to fast all day Friday, but that hasn't gone too well lately, as we've had events on, so have ended up eating.

Yes, I test blood sugar all the time. I'm currently trialling a few different foods, where I test before I eat, then at 1 hr, 2 hrs & 3 hrs, to see what it does.

I don't test ketones. I don't have the device, but would definately be in ketosis.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  18. wylie

I just looked back and some days I'm under 30g but others I'm more than double that. I'm going to discuss this tomorrow with my dietitian and might try very hard to keep the carbs lower.

As you say, I've been trying to keep carbs down, but when I look back on my daily record, there are days that it has definitely blown out. So that could be a tweak I can easily make.

And regarding your reply to skater about intermittent fasting, I bought the 5/2 book and followed it for quite a number of weeks. When I wasn't losing any weight, I found a forum, and it seemed the only people questioning why it wasn't working was... you guessed it... post-menopausal women. I guess we cannot fight the hormones.

But I refuse to turn into a round apple, so I'll continue to fight on.

19. Simon Hampel

Not that it's entirely relevant to this discussion, but there was an interesting test that one of the DietDoctor staff did where he wanted to test what impact the amount of protein he ate had on his diet. He thought that eating too much protein would drop him out of ketosis.

Turned out, based on his n=1 experiment that protein seemed to have no impact on his ketone levels at all - it was all carbs. Any time he dropped out of ketosis, it was because of extra carbs - not protein.

You can read about it here (no membership required): How Much Protein Can You Eat in Ketosis? - Diet Doctor

20. Simon Hampel

It's probably worth trying that to see if it helps.

The thing that struck me about the interview with Jacqueline Eberstein (who does a lot of consulting with women in exactly your position) is that they sometimes get stuck trying to work out why nothing is working and have to look for alternative strategies (or other underlying causes). It seems to be a fairly common issue (the lack of progress).

I did find a transcript of a presentation she did at a Low Carb USA conference which may be helpful - https://prod-dietdoctor-d3xpwb8eqyo.../11/Jackie-Eberstein-Presentation-SD-2016.pdf

Her advice in the other interview I mentioned previously was "Be patient and have a sense of humor" ... and to make sure you get enough sleep. It may also require some consultation to get help to manage your hormone levels - everyone is different and so avoid "cookie cutter" approaches to management.

She also strongly urged women to avoid getting fixated on the scales alone - it's not just about weight, but overall health. Sometimes the weight does nothing for an extended period but if you lose patience and give up, you'll end up 10kg heavier and less healthy.

I did like the advice she gave near the front of the transcript I linked to above - while most of this stuff isn't all that relevant to men - they may well have a wife/partner who it is very relevant to, so it's worth paying attention so that they can understand and appreciate the differences and be supportive - so this will become much more relevant to me at some point in the future.