Health & Family "Biggest Loser" Week 7 Weigh In.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 25th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Make your own tuna mornay pies - tuna in a half avocado. If you must have the mornay, add in some yoghurt. Mmm. deliccious

wylie, MTR, jim1964 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Could actually be Ok if you made them yourself - but could equally be bad as well.

3. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

Sounds like a subscapularis issue affecting your scapulo-humeral rhythm?

Player likes this.
  4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I was about to say.
    I would be getting an MRI and going to a Orthopedic Surgeon to see what's going on.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've done all that. I've seen three different physios over six years, have tried acupuncture (and have started again recently), chiro, two different bowen therapists, orthopaedic surgeon. Nothing has really changed. I have no tears, so not requiring surgery. Just cannot slice bread, whisk eggs or lift the doona off me, or sleep on my right hand side. PITA.

This exercise physiologist is the only one who has managed to allow me, with great concentration and really trying to connect brain to muscle, to lift my arm without some level of pain. He says I need to practice "thinking about the muscle" and "engaging the muscle" that has stopped working as it should.

And release (using pressure) the tight pecs and under my arms where tendons/muscles attach to each rib. They are tight and are protecting the sore shoulder, but not allowing natural movement. Plus muscles that should be used to lift my arm are just not switching on until way too late. So my body is compensating by using different muscles and that is causing problems. His therapy hurts, but it seems to be making a difference.

It is the best result I've had in over six years, so I'm happy to continue with him and see if I can retrain my brain (and my muscles).

Last edited: 31st Jul, 2016
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good to hear you've found someone that can help after all that time.
    Do they get you to focus on the muscles between your shoulders as well?

7. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Could well be. Indeed any of the rotator cuff could be impacting this issue.

@wylie sounds like this exercise physiologist is getting to the source of the problem. Stick with it.

By the way, your initial diagnosis may have been a frozen shoulder when you first had this problem. If this current therapist has helped with with some muscle and soft tissue releases and retraining correct muscle use then you no longer have a true "frozen shoulder" which is actually "adhesive capsulitis" By virtue of that latter name the joint capsule of the shoulder joint develops adhesions further to an injury and/or trauma. It is usually self resolving however as you have found residual issues linger. Usually they are myofascial in nature implicating muscular and fascial (soft/connective tissue) elements.

Stick with this current therapist as they are obviously on the ball with what they are doing for you.

chindonly and wylie like this.