Health & Family "Biggest Loser" Week 7 Weigh In.

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 25th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Aren't you an endurance athlete though?
    Cmon, you can go down to 60kg :)
    If you were a power player, heavier may be required to perform.

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

The lightest I've raced in a big race was 67kg when I did Hawaii Ironman in 2004 when I was 20.

FB_IMG_1469508778967.jpg

Last year, I did my 48hr WR weighing 90kg. In 2014 I did my 12hr hill record at around 88kg.

FB_IMG_1469508971393.jpg

Weight isnt so much a factor. Its power to weight that counts. Granted, if I can generate the same power at a lower weight, I will be faster, but unfortunately I lose the muscle mass to generate that power.

I have to make small inroads with generating small amounts of extra power, whilst losing small amounts of mass. Its a fine balancing act.

pinkboy

3. Ace in the Hole

Always wondered where the name came from...
    20kg is a fair amount of muscle mass gain in 12 years since you were 20.
    How does your endurance compare before and after?

4. srirang

srirang Well-Known Member

97.3 KG, didn't do well last week. Almost no exercise. Will get back on this week

158 and Bran like this.
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I dont think there is a fair comparison. My endurance today is exponentially better than it was 12+ years ago.

Why? Because I have learned to cope better under physical duress through repeated physical and mental training. Essentially, I've learnt to suffer.

I can tell you, the place where I went in the last 2hrs of my 48hr WR cannot be described to 99.999% of the population. Honestly, I think only a handful of people can go there (#humblebrag .....sorry). And further honesty, Im not sure how many times in ones lifetime can you go there either. I could literally feel myself cooking from the inside out and still cringe at the thought of it. Surprisingly, I did like the feeling though, in a sick and twisted kind of way!

I think im in a catch 22 situation, however this challenge has seen me eat slightly better than 'normal'.

pinkboy

6. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Impressive! I've heard it's really difficult to get invited, let alone race it.

158 likes this.
  7. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

99.0 sorry wasn't near any scales until now! Got to run to boxing class!

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Very. Only around 1,500 slots are allocated each year to qualify.

My best mate qualified in 2001. He knocked it back and didn't go to focus on his last year of Uni (Dietician). Since then he has been unable to qualify and has tried every year until this year. This year, sadly he gave up.

pinkboy

9. Ace in the Hole

PB, I'd love to have your pain threshold, and mental toughness.
    I guess I'll just have to toughen up a bit and earn it gradually.

What drives you in those moments where others would simply give up and quit, or give an effort short of their best?

10. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I haven't done anything close to what you have but kind of know what you are talking about. In the build up to a 24 hour endurance cycling event, I pushed harder and harder, building up my times and distances over time. By the time I got to the 24 hour event, I had achieved things I would never have dreamed I was capable of. It builds up a kinds of resilience that is hard to explain. The 24 hour even was next level for me though. By the end I was riding on sheer grit. I had nothing left physically or mentally and it was only sheer determination that got me to the end. That was at half what you did. I can't imagine the last 2 hours of a 48 hour ride.

Bran likes this.
  11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I haven't achieved anything near PB but what I did was huge for me. In my experience, it was incremental.

I have been there twice but I can't answer the question. First time was near the end of a 13 hour, 200km ride. A couple of km from the end of the ride I slipped on wet train tracks and broke my knee. I jumped back on the bike and rode the last couple of k's to the end. I spent some time pedalling with one leg and semi-successfully trying to get my knee to bend to pedal with two legs. I figured the end was so close I would make it. It was further than I thought. It hurt a lot. I have never experienced pain like that. I guess a lot of people would have quit at that point. I felt like I had gone too far to quit at that point. Investing nearly 13 hours in doing something is fairly strong motivation to complete.

Second time was near the end of the 24 hour event. I was spent and riding on grit. I thought I was going to collapse and fall off the bike. I can't tell you what kept me going. I was team leader, so I didn't want to let my team down. Also, if I failed the complete the ride, the whole team would fail, so that kept me going too. Fear of failure? It would have been so easy to quit but the end was so close I could taste it.

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

104.6kg yesterday and 105.8kg the Monday before. Sorry about being MIA for a while!

158 and Perthguy like this.
  13. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

139.6 up 0.2 Been sick, so a bad week for training. Vestibulitis.

158 likes this.
  14. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I've just worked a 38 hour week (since Monday), and I get home to freshly baked chocolate cookies. Not fair, and of course I caved! At least I got a good workout in yesterday, not knowing what was coming :/

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Double chocolate my favourite.
    Got a good tip today with regards to cakes and biscuits... replace butter/oil content with apple sauce, reduces calories and still moist and no does not taste like apples;)

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2016
    Sackie and Bran like this.
  16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Where's the spreadsheet?
    I've lost another 1.5kg since Sunday. Woop woop.

chindonly and Perthguy like this.
  17. Ace in the Hole

You gonna be back to your 25yo super model body by the end of 12 weeks!

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

That's the plan (or by summer at least) :) Except nothing I'm doing is unsustainable. What I did at 25 was unsustainable. Still increasing my deadlifts/squats etc... so all good so far.

19. Ace in the Hole

Good to hear.
    Injuries suck so much more when you're older.
    Got to know when to back off a bit at times.

20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

For some strange reason, I feel that I'm training better than I ever did. It can't be true, I trained consistently for years back then. But now, with less counting reps and so on, lifting heavier when I feel I can, more intuitive training - it just feels better.