Health & Family 'Biggest Loser' Week 4 Weigh In

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 4th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

105.5kg.
    Just a little bit happier with this result than last week's!

Lil Skater and 158 like this.
  2. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

106.3kg

Sadly, 5 mins earlier it was 105.somethibg but forgot and came back to check.

158 likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Did you eat something on the way back to check? o_O

Bran, 158 and WattleIdo like this.
  4. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

99.0kg decent improvement. Some bike riding and healthy eating.

158 likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

77.7 for me - so a gain
    I had really tried to balance out a birthday week (hubby) with extra exercise but evidently not enough. I didn't want to not partake in all the festivities and food but I kept it to a good moderation.

Bran likes this.
  6. 158

158 Well-Known Member

But you did, and that is why we are here.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Perhaps reread your goals: PropertyChat "Biggest Loser" Challenge

And we are still waiting on that 'super fit pic'. ;)

pinkboy

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I fell down in a couple of places this week.

I got smashed one day at work, and instead of being able to select a healthy lunch, I had selected for me a plate of chips and oily chicken. As this was my only food in a 14 hour day of operating, I had no real choice not to eat. There were no available alternatives in the timeframe I had.

Friday night, my wife served up Pizza, with nothing else in the house, so I capitulated with only a whimper but cut it down after far fewer slices than I normally would.

Yesterday, I went for an hour bike ride - my first in months and months. ANd last night, I was STARVING. I had maybe 10 peanut M&Ms, but really had to keep eating - almonds, dates, greek yoghurt/fruit, then only some cheese touched the spot.

Otherwise, I've trained 7/7 days. Introduced cardio (I hadn't done that til this time - I was keen to build a muscular base). Now that I can train weights more effectively (I've had about a 2 month base train now) and with more volume, I will increase the cardio.

I've not had a drink for over 7 days - this is a big change. I didn't drink a lot, but usually every day.

Hopefully that will be reflected in my weight next week, but more importantly are definite changes in my physique. Except for the skinny guy volunteering weight lifting advice, I was feeling pretty good :)

I am still VASTLY less irritable, and aside from dropping all processed carbs, I cannot explain this. But it's definite.

Perthguy, mrdobalina and JamesGG like this.
  8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

139.8 0.3 down. Less training this week due to injury. Physio tomorrow should help clear it up.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Where abouts is the restaurant? Lots of traditional food i assume

10. skater

skater Well-Known Member

It's a tiny little restaurant in Glebe. Yes, very traditional! One lady asked for some butter to go with the bread & got pointed to the large tub of lard, and was told "This is a Polish Restaurant, you know". I looked at the lard & felt physically ill!

bob shovel likes this.
  11. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

65.5. Still sick and lost weight.

12. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Steadily looking up. 77.4 kg.
    I was physically more active than previous week and also ate better than previous week.

Losing weight isn't my aim given my long term average weight is 80. So, I'm not sure if it is fair to include me in your average.

13. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

73kg.

Blood test today to figure out what's wrong - hives everytime I sweat/exercise and weight not shifting despite healthy eating with a calorie deficit each day.

WattleIdo and JenW like this.
  14. wylie

Bran was right about the protein. I saw a nutritionist today and learnt what I suspected... that my attempt at eating what I think is a good diet, is not the same as actually knowing the balance I need. Good news is that I can change things and I'm not doomed to always have to fight the weight gain (fingers crossed anyway).

He looked at a sample of my FatSecret daily tally sheets to see what I'm eating. He said my diet was pretty good, and clearly I'm not eating stupid things but when he looked at my balance of protein, carbs and fat, he believes that I'm eating too much of some and starving my body of others.

He has given me a macro goal makeup (grams per day of each) to suit my height and age... and the weight I would be comfortable at (55kg). He said I was working my calculations on my current weight and I should calculate my calorie intake on the weight I'd like to reach (which makes sense). He worked out my BMI is 22, but I know that might not be right.

He said that whilst I'm eating well, and I'm currently eating the calories that should see me lose about 1kg each two weeks, he believes the reason I'm not losing is likely as simple as the imbalance of protein, carbs and fat... and he wants me to try to eat protein at each meal.

I've been (generally, but not totally) avoiding certain foods (bread, potato and rice). He wants me to stop avoiding them, but has given me an idea of how much and what type to eat.

He said I could have a test to see exactly what my body can process, whether I should eat more carbs or more protein, how my body deals with those things. He said that he has had that test, and needs more carbs and if he ate a higher protein diet, he would lay down fat. I'm fairly sure I'm the reverse. I can get that test but I'll see how things go with the tweaks first.

We discussed my exercise and he tweaked that too, including some weights that he will go through with me next visit. He said the HIIT I'm doing is wrong for me and has tweaked the intensity, timings and number of sessions.

I'm feeling good and keen to see how his tweaks work for me. I'm going away for the weekend but will try to stick to this as best I can without being a wowser and within the limitations I'll face being with other people and at the mercy of eating out for a whole weekend.

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2016
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Sounds positive.
    What sort of qualifications does the nutritionist have - and is this different from a dietitian?

16. wylie

Accredited Practising Dietitian and Accredited Exercise Physiologist
    (Dietitian it seems and not a nutritionist - which is good because dietitian is an easier word to type. ;))

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Great.

18. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet attached for this weeks weigh in.

Congratulations to @spludgey as this weeks Biggest Loser with a weight loss percentage of 1.31%. Well done also to @S.T on a loss of .8% and @Mumbai close behind on .76%.

Few weigh ins crept up this week, and a few no change, followed by a couple of just 100g losses. Must have been a hard week for us all.

Also, you will notice I have culled the spreadsheet of those who signed up from the start, and have not weighed in from the start. This gives us a better representation for those of us committed.

pinkboy

Attached Files:

19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Thanks @pinkboy
    i'm not expecting much loss at all through out the competition. It's nice to be more focused on healthier food + being more active though. Just hoping by the end of it I would have grown additional muscle and less fat ;)

WattleIdo and 158 like this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Well done @wylie for looking further into what's going on - wasn't just @Bran who was hinting at the protein situation but anyway great that you've listened and investigated and are willing to tweak and try new eating etc. I'm sure you'll do very well.
    Well done @spludgey, @S.T. and @Mumbai (hope you feel better soon, too).
    I'm now starting to walk / run though for shorter period of time due to the huge puddles, fast flowing creeks, etc.
    Bought my first ever microwave today.

Last edited: 6th Jul, 2016