Health & Family "Biggest Loser" Week 1 Weigh In

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 158, 13th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Ok, TMI time.

Completed full body composition scan today. Results:
    So goal have shifted - not 55kg target, but 2-3kg reduction in fat (hopefully on Trunks region) to be in lower fat %
    and similar gain on muscle mass. Can someone tell me how hard it is to gain 1kg muscle? o_O

Bran likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not that easy. You would need to work out a fair bit and eat a reasonble amount. If you are trying to lose fat at the same time, it would be more difficult (but still possible). Muscle growth tends to be slower while in a calorie deficit than calorie surplus.

The good news is that if you are just starting out, you will gain 1kg of muscle faster than someone who has been working out for years ;)

EN710 likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

How much working out? ;) I'm fairly active - swimming 3 times a week and daily walk and been doing this for years. Maybe time to add weight training?

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

The fastest way to gain 1kg of muscle is lifting 2 to 3 times a week with free weights. Option 2 is bodyweight exercises. Just be careful when starting out to take it slow, use lighter weights and be careful to use good form to avoid injury and excessive soreness.

We probably all be lifting. There are lots of benefits of resistance training besides muscle gain:-
    - lose fat
    - boost mood
    - increase bone density
    - balance and coordination
    - improve sleep
    - improved posture

Better health Victoria has some good advice for people starting out:-

Resistance training – health benefits

Sackie, JenW, Bran and 2 others like this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Uh oh. I meant from a lower body dominant strength requiring sport. Not a commentary on anyones physique except my own!! EEP. :)

wylie likes this.
  6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that since my hip replacement, my legs have shrunk around 8cm each, while the rest of my body has stayed the same. Now....if only I could duplicate that on my waistline.

Bran and Lil Skater like this.
  7. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. I meant the OTHER person wasn't very nice. I read it as the person said your undies were large.

Not touchy, just hard to display emotions on text sometimes. I had a good laugh at it.

Haha, no. Not at all. I'm just reasonably strong, particularly in my legs. Always have been and I enjoy weights.

For reference - here's a photo from last night at 127.5kgs. As you can see, I'm heavily overweight so I don't think the weight itself is rediculous given my size. A friend of mine recently competed in her first bikini competition thingy-ma-bob, she worked really hard and look amazing! I want that. That's what I'm working towards.

Attached Files:

Sackie and Bran like this.
  8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Good effort, but trap bar deadlift with raised handles doesn't count ;)
    I'd call it a rack pull on that set up at 5ft tall.
    Still, good that you're lifting something heavy.

9. Lil Skater

I know it's easier than a normal bar, but still heavier than the rest of the girls, and most of the guys ;)

Mooze and WattleIdo like this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Well done Lil. I couldn't lift just one of those things on one side. To lift that is awesome, regardless of what sort of bar or handle you are using :eek:. Go girl! ;)

Lil Skater and JenW like this.
  11. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha. How funny that we can so misunderstand ourselves with text alone. The large undies was unnecessary, but true :)

12. Lil Skater

Text is difficult sometimes :)

Might be true, but I think it's one of those things you don't say to someone you don't know. Never know how deep someone's scars go.

WattleIdo and Bran like this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good to hear.
    We're all hear working towards the same goal, let's do it people!
    :)

Lil Skater likes this.
  14. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I do this every week. No sugar in my tea and coffee

15. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Ahh well, i dont have sugar in my tea and coffee. Love milk so have it in tea, coffee and with my gluten-free weetbix ;)
    I have salads with no dressing, no salt pepper, no cheese. Just leaves, cucumber, carrot, tomato, avocado and one protein for lunch 5 days a week. No bread, rice with my curries (mom visiting, so curries every night).

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Fitting into black jeans today (albeit size 18) and that's After brekkie and tea (sugarless and milkless). :)
    Off to door knock and search sheds and gardens for missing cat. :(

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

And this is the thing that some people who don't have weight issues don't realise. Yes, sure, being overweight is because you've eaten too much, and sometimes it's just a case that you like food, and you really don't care.....but that's not the problem in many cases.

There are many reasons why people are overweight. There are often deep seated emotional issues that need to be dealt with. That is why you can nag at a larger person about their weight & nothing changes, or worse, your poor attempts at 'helping' only drives that person to more food. Nothing will change until that person is ready to deal with it. They know they're big. They often know the risks, and they may make some half hearted attempts to do something about it, but it is not until they have the right mindset and sometimes the support systems in place that they can make the change. It's hard! Damn hard!

That is why I think this is a great idea. Support is crucial. I make attempts at getting my weight down, but all around me I have both my Husband & eldest daughter eating things that only make me want to indulge as well. This makes you more accountable, and more aware that you are trying to change things for the better, despite what's going on around you.

Lil Skater, 158, wylie and 2 others like this.
  18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Found cat at old address if anyone's interested. Phew! Such relief.
    The poodle tried the same number on Sunday night before I got home from the mountains but came back by herself when she saw the empty house (I assume). Now I can resume my life/job/everyday interactions with others.

Lil Skater, Sackie, skater and 4 others like this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good to hear!
    Poor kittie.
    Shame about the poodle ;)

JenW likes this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Crazy Gypsy. Funny Blossom.