Big tree just snapped off what to do

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tangy, 26th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

hi
    one of my rental properties has a big maple like tree at the front. It’s really huge. The storm and hail just came through and I was told a big chunk just fell off. See photo.
    What is the best thing to do?? The tenant called me directly , they said they felt the house move when it dropped. Nothing will be open tommorow given it’s a public holiday. I’m researching what to do in this situation but as always advice from property chat is always appreciated.
    I was looking into removing it anyway recently and was quoted 10k as it crosses through power lines and the tree removalists would need to apply to Energy Australia to shut d power down to remove it safely

Attached Files:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Ring SES

Wasn't in Mt Druitt was it?

3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Jump on your local community facebook group, seek garden care person with chainsaw, pay them minimal amount to just cut it up into chunks and leave on curb, either council will collect or just pay to have it taken to the tip.

Dan Wood, datto, tangy and 1 other person like this.
  4. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

This is canley heights
    We qualify for ses to come out so we r told we have to turn the power off via endeavour then they can log the job

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for ur advice people much appreciated hope everyone is safe

6. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

Do I need to call my home insurer now? Thanks

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If there's no damage I wouldn't get insurance coy involved Up to you though.

I heard the storm out out there was pretty viscous about an hour ago. Thunder and small hail stones, strong winds.

Don't be surprised if you get people coming around scouring the streets looking for quick cash jobs to clear branches.

8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Looking at the top l/h on the photo if that's what i think it is then just ring your insurance ,because xxxx high voltage does not end well when you become the live earth too the ground.imho..

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Call SES they will come out if it's dangerous, fallen on the house or blocking access etc.

10. willair

Your not starting ''Crew--Cut'' property services again ?..

Michael Mitchell, Dan Wood and datto like this.
  11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would NOT get it cut up. Get SES to check it and call insurance as there may be damage to the house/roof that you cannot see in the photo. If they give the all clear, then you can get it cut up and cleared.

SeafordSunshine and tangy like this.
  12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No, lol, not me. But they're out there.

No word of a lie, its a Saturday arvo about 12 months ago when a neighbour is about to start cutting a tall tree. A car pulls up, 2 fellas jump out and say "we'll do it for 250."

They had all the PPE and done the job in less than an hour.

The neighbour, in thongs, was going to climb 6 metres to try and cut thick limbs with a blunt chainsaw lol. I'm sure he would have ended in hospital.

13. willair

Sounds like the joke..
    A person put a sign on the front fence trying to do a tree removal on the cheap and could not spell too well..

Wanted tree fellars..

Three Irish Back Packers see the sign and pull up walk inside and say you want three fellas ..

14. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. SES has advised to call endeavour to shut down the power first before they can log the job. I’m still waiting for endeavour to come and shut down the power. They must be caught up w so many jobs

15. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

Your absolutely spot on. im told there is a lot of those tree cutters w no licence scouting for jobs. Thanks for the reminder. A few Months ago I got quoted by a decent company but it was in the 10 K range to chop this tree. They said , it doesn’t matter if I go with them or not but do not get a dodgy Tom D or Harry to do it. It won’t end well.

datto likes this.
  16. tangy

tangy Well-Known Member

Thanks so much, I was looking into the cba claims. I’m not sure if this is considered an emergency claim. I mean the power line has fallen down... but no one is injured and the roof hasn’t fallen down like it has a few houses down ...still waiting for endeavour to come and shut down the power so SES can come around. Another ses truck came by going to another job took photos and said they were so shocked at the size of the tree. Anyway god bless them. We will just have to be patient and wait. Thanks everyone for your time!

Last edited: 26th Jan, 2020
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

What sort of good neighbour see you? You're already cutting the neighbour's grass but won't help trim they're stump?

18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I picked up an Ozito chainsaw from Bunnings a few years back for $99, its been a great little workhorse over the years and has helped me tidy up the yards in two properties that were overgrown and needed 1/2 dozen trailer loads each of complete trees and assorted branches to the tip

datto likes this.
  19. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is it actually on the house? It looks like the branch is still slightly attached to the trunk?

The SES will make it safe if it poses a danger.

When I was with the SES in Vic, we wouldn’t chop it into small pieces though - just enough to move it off the roof etc.

20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Heck, I can't climb 6 metres up a tree and start cutting branches. I'm on compo with restricted duties.

VB King and Michael Mitchell like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia