Bifold door panels

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Frank2000, 21st Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Hi guys,

I am trying to install a series of exterior glass bifold doors with the opening 2500w x 2400h. The seller said I could put either 3 panels or 4 panels. He personally prefers 4 panels option. But it would cost $500 more. What are your guys opinion on this?

Thanks,
    Frank

2. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

With bifold doors, if you have an even number, you have to fold back a pair to get out. with an uneven number you only need to open the last panel. Having said that the last panel is more likely to swing around in the wind.
    Personally, I would chose the 3. The panels will be a little more than 800mm wide, which is a good door width for entry/exit, then you go to the trouble of unlocking and swinging the whole thing open when you are opening it all up. You may want to install a latch or strong magentic holder between the last panel and the second last so you can lock it open so it doesn't blow closed in the wind.

3. Frank2000

Frank2000 Member

Thanks Stu. What you say really makes sense. I think the seller just personally likes smaller panels which may look nicer.