Beware Perth hosts of guest JJ

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by moridog, 25th Mar, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

We had a “guest” in to our Airbnb all verified and reviewed, extended the stay Friday by 3 nights, the co owner drove out to check them out, kept offering to pay direct but we refused. Got here this morning, probably about 5 k? Of damage done, RAC insurance told us to p.... off. Police refuse to attend but took the report. She is Airbnb ing throughout perth.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Oh no!

Sorry to hear :(

Ross Forrester likes this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Ah. The beauty of AirBnB. So many stories like that, I wonder why people would still do it.

4. moridog

Thank you for your helpful response!

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What sort of damage did they do? And why did RAC insurance not cover it - what did they say?

JacM likes this.
  6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Doesn’t Airbnb insure you?

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression Airbnb had insurance against damage that would cover you?
    Marg

8. moridog

Waiting on Airbnb response. RAC claim policy excludes Airbnb despite my co owner specifically asking, he does not have this recorded unfortunately. They have ripped up the carpet in master bedroom damaging tiles, ripped up the underlay piled it in the bathroom removed a portion of ceiling and cornice. Light fitting hanging in mid air plus wiring. There was a wall of mirrored tiles, they’ve ripped all bar three off, broke the lock to the spa, we do not advertise the spa, and somehow emptied it plus motor still running when I got here. Broke into locked storeroom and got tools for their work!
    Chunks of plaster out of walls, carpet taken up in lounge big carpet stain in other lounge, pictures off walls, defunct security sensor on wall destroyed, has all the hallmarks of drug induced psychosis methinks. And they had four kids :(

9. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

How did your co-owner ask if Airbnb is covered? If over the phone the call would have been recorded. I'd be taking it further.

I've had my Airbnb property insured with RACQ since I started doing it about 15 months ago and specifically asked them on the phone if I'm covered for short term lets and was assured I was.

But, rang up on Friday last week to update an address and was told I had 1 week to find a new insurer as they no longer cover short term lets....

Curoch, JacM, qak and 2 others like this.
  10. moridog

Thank you Kinnon, we will pursue this. He specifically asked when we took out the policy if they covered Airbnb and short term let’s and he was reassured they did. I just couldn’t believe my eyes. Of our top three guests from hell, two of them were local, Perth, families, who appear to be using Airbnb as a lifestyle choice. Probably because they’ve been evicted from anywhere else.
    As I said, she was verified, had good reviews and when I asked her why she would want to stay there when she lives locally, she told me they had had a death in the family and the kids needed a break away.
    The electrician is booked for Wednesday. I will have him disable the spa, the motor is probably burned out anyway, we never ever advertise it as a part of the property as I am too terrified of an accident. It had a cover, a pool fence and a locked gate.
    The Police will only treat it as a damage complaint despite the shed being broken into and items stolen.

Propin likes this.
  11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Unless they put it in their PDS for short term lets , I would generally not believe what they would say over the phone.
    Terri Scheer and EBM both do policies specific for short term rentals, and covers usage by the owners.
    Most standard policies also have clauses if its unoccupied for a couple of months or more , but thats more relevant in tourist towns where the bulk of the money is made in 3 or 4 months of the year and used sparingly for the remainder of the year.

12. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sorry to hear about so much damage @moridog.
    Keep persuing as @Kinnon suggested as it might have been a policy change. Find the PDS that would have been sent when you got the policy and any emails talking about the change of PDS since then to see if there was a policy change that they did or didn't notify you of.

JacM, hobo and Propin like this.
  13. moridog

That’s great advice Westie, thank you. My co owner is pretty diligent with paperwork! Airbnb are not in a hurry to do anything even though I am fairly confident she has gone to another Airbnb listing.

Propin likes this.
  14. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

The interesting outcome here will be how the AirBnB coverage works out - hope it works out well but keep us informed!

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That is very much a worry. Also, thank you for the warning.

16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks Moridog for the warning. Good luck! I hope you are covered.

17. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Do sorry to hear that. Hope you get a good outcome.

18. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

On AirBNB reviews, are you able to post photo's against the persons name that did it? Seems so wrong that they can just go rent another without sufficient feedback from the previous AirBNB hosts if not? Hope you get it sorted, sounds dreadful.

With the Police issue, can you ask for it to be escalated based on the theft of the tools? You'd think it's be an easy enough nab for them, they know who stayed there.

KateSydney likes this.
  19. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

This. The police avoid malicious damage reports from Airbnb premises. It's too hard to prove intent (as opposed to laziness/carelessness/poor supervision of kids/different housekeeping standards etc).

But theft - cops should be comfortable with that.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Was the storeroom locked with a proper mortise or deadlock type lock or just a padlock?