Best way to secure a property on private sale

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Stan, 19th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

Domain and Realestate often publish articles recapping the week's auctions. If you cross-reference the reserve price quoted against the Statement of Information for a property, you'll often find it set at the top end of the range. Occasionally it'll be above it.

(Realestateview includes the Statement of Information with its sold listings, unlike the other property sites.)

I can't really advise on how to proceed with negotiations, other than something else will come up. Bear in mind that Melbourne is a slowing market, and an agent I spoke to last week reckoned it peaked in June or July last year, so a bit of patience might be rewarded.

2. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Melbourne is not a single market. A lot of areas were really picking up just after July last year when the new stamp duty rule applied.

housechopper2 likes this.
  3. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

No it's not, but real estate markets tend to be tightly coupled.

If the Inner East is slowing, then it's likely that the Outer West will eventually follow suit because changes ripple outwards.

4. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

Yea, but it will take time. Sometime it can be 18-24 months different in which you can see 20-30% increase in the outer suburbs.

5. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

You might be right, Eric. Eventhough our offer was at the top of the SOI, I should have offered more to get us in the front seat of the rea's mind.

That's a good tip! I didn't know Realestateview had SOI included with their sold listings. I have been searching Google for "address + statement of information" on sold properties.

6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

understand how you feel, but you don't want to over spend on a property neither. there is always another one available.

7. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Right from the first post, I already believed that this property is worth at least mid 600k. However, top of the SOI is ~630k. If we didn't follow the SOI and offered mid 600k from the start, I think we could have secured the property.

Lesson learned.

And onto the next one!

8. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

Hi @Stan thx for sharing this. I am just curious what is the sold price at the end?

9. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

670k. Why?

10. Ben John1

Ben John1 Well-Known Member

I am just a learner as well. Your case is a bit similar to mine, hence I am interested in reading your thread.

11. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

We just secured a property a few weeks ago. The settlement is next week. I'll post another update after the settlement.

Ben John1 likes this.