Best way to deal with walls that aren't square

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Surfbaby, 7th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Deborah McGregor

Deborah McGregor Member

Perhaps I was not clear. If the building is structurally unsound this is not the just the problem of the individual owner. The building is owned by the entire body corporate and therefore the body corporate needs to investigate and pay for remediation. If work INSIDE the apartment is at issue, then it is the owner's problem.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Well I think vinyl flooring would actually hide it better than some tiles. You either go with large tiles, like 600 x 600 so there is no grout line near the walls or something with less obvious lines which can be vinyl.

How much out of square are we talking? From one end of a wall to the other end is it more then 5cm? if it's quite bad then I have an idea and I'm pretty sure you'll love it

Lay the vinyl planks in a herringbone pattern so nothing is perpendicular to the walls. Yes it will be a pain in the beehind to lay but it will look awesome and hide the issue. Alternative just go buy a roll of normal vinyl with a herringbone pattern and roll that out.

Oh yes she DIYd - Herringbone floors with Vinyl Stick Down Planks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

158 likes this.
  3. P j T

P j T Well-Known Member

This is typical.
    I would suggest you may never have a structure built that is completely finished square.

The old builders maxim
    "Engineer measure to the nearest thousandth of a millimetre.
    Carpenters measure to the nearest millimetre
    Builders measure to the nearest house"

MikeyBallarat and Scott No Mates like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Maybe I was not clear, no need to jump too "The building is falling down", cause that is not want it is about, out of square is not a structural issue to anyone with a clue.

The wood pattern on flooring above would do the trick, as would doing nothing, most likely.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it is of that great a concern, build a false wall to square up the room.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A few years back I studied bricklaying and one of the teachers told the class this joke:

A group of surgeons were in a back yard having a BBQ with a group of bricklayers. One of the surgeons was tipsy on a shandy and told the brickies.."my job is so precise, that when I make a 60 millimetre incision on a blood vessel, I've only got a 2% margin for error".

One of the half tanked brickies retorted "When I build a 6 metre long wall, I've got no margin for error. It's got to be 6 metres long"

Yeah, I didn't find the joke funny either but laughed just to help me pass the course.

I'm not sure if this helps but I was at a theme park on the Gold Coast where you walk into what appears to be a level house but in fact it's not. When you walk through the house, your body is bending as if you are walking up a hill.

So, creating an optical illusion may be the answer to help make an unsquare floor appear square. I think someone may have already mentioned this idea.

7. Surfbaby

Surfbaby Member

Thanks everyone for the replies! After moving all our stuff in it is more and more noticeable that the walls aren’t square. Cupboards don’t close properly and grout in the tiles really stand out, but I do really like the herringbone flooring idea! Thanks again for the feedback

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia