Best way to deal with asbestos vinyl in kitchen?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by propernewb, 5th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What's the best way to get asbestos out of kitchen?

1. Remove of the vinyl + underlay alone (cheapest option)

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Removal of the floorboards + vinyl + underlay (middle)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Removal of floorboards + vinyl + underlay under negative pressure (most expensive)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. propernewb

propernewb Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've recently purchased a home that I'll temporarily be using as a PPOR and then later on as an IP.

I had been preparing the floors for a sand & polish when I came across some lino on the kitchen floor (multiple layers). I had them tested and they came back positive for asbestos.
    I've sought multiple quotes from different asbestos contractors and the costs have been extremely variable from $1K - $13K, mostly due to the fact that different contractors have recommended different removal methods.

My question is, what is the most reasonable way to go about getting this asbestos removed, given the different opinions out there?
    Just to note, the asbestos is the non-friable type, although the contractors who are on the upper end of the price spectrum have recommended removal under friable conditions (i.e. encapsulation of the room) + removal of the floorboards underneath the asbestos-containing vinyl+underlay.

Thoughts?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It is non-friable - have the contractor mask up/dress up, follow the OHS guidelines, double-bag it up, seal the floor with PVA, and POQ.

Job done in an afternoon.

Piston_Broke and skater like this.
  3. propernewb

@Scott No Mates yes this is a point of contention - the asbestos is technically bonded within the vinyl and glue, but it will crumble if crushed (duh) making it non-friable, hence the extra cost of treating it as such

4. Scott No Mates

Not contentious at all, playing on your naievity. It is defined as "Non-friable" and treated as such. Why would the contractor be seeking to remove the floorboards if there's an underlay? Where will they stop? Hey, next door has some too, strip the soil to 1m?

No, it will still be bonded in a vinyl matrix but in smaller pieces. The removalist still has to go over the room to clean up, wet wipe & spray PVA.

What is friable and non-friable asbestos? - WorkSafe

Non-friable means bonded, it will release some fibres as part of the removal process when the material is mechanically removed.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2021
    Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Might you sand the boards in future? Might a future purchaser?

Once the vinyl is removed will there be glue remaining? Will it / is it likely to contain asbestos fibres?

6. Scott No Mates

There's underlay.

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Same questions - just assume when I said ‘vinyl’ that I meant vinyl and underlay’.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. propernewb

Yes, the underlay is glued to the floor and I did get a few quotes who suggested it might be removable without taking off the floorboards, however they also recommended that I get samples from the floor for testing as I plan to sand & polish the kitchen

9. propernewb

Just to add: both underlay and vinyl have returned a positive result for asbestos I. E. The layers in direct contact with the floor (which was also polished prior to the vinyl being laid!)

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If you plan to sand and polish the floor then you must choose the method that allows you to do this without exposure to asbestos.

Have you asked each of the non-removal option providers if their methods will accomplish this? For example, they may be able to dissolve and wet scrape the glue off.

If not, then your only option is to replace the boards.

11. propernewb

Opinions differ, hence the poll. Some were confident that the glue could be lifted but recommended testing afterwards. Others said unlikely to be able to lift the glue off given its age. Others still (not asbestos removalists) have suggested to just sand it down when doing the floors....
    We've decided to just remove the floorboards given the risk and desire to have polished floorboards in the kitchen.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well done. Sounds like the safest option.

(And disappointing that some people would suggest sanding asbestos-containing glue!)