Best way to approach neighbours re boundary realignment

Discussion in 'Development' started by Brits, 24th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brits

Brits Member

I have an investment property on 925 square meters. There is a house on the front part of the land with drive access of course. The back of the land is large enough to subdivide. The neighbours behind the block's land has a small triangular piece of land on the side of their land. It is pretty useless I imagine to them but is big enough for me to make access to my property from their street.
    Do you know what I mean? Anyway, I would like to buy this small triangular piece of land from them so I can do this.
    I'm wondering how best to approach them about it. I will offer them market value for the piece of land. I have been advised by the land surveyor that this is a boundary realignment and that council will likely approve it. I will pay all the costs involved of course.
    Should I go to them and just check that it is something they would consider or go to them with a proposal, all costs etc complete? Should I perhaps ask a real estate agent to approach them on my behalf and get him/her to do all the face to face negotiations?
    I'm scared that if I approach them the wrong way they might dismiss it out of hand and I've lost my chance. Who knows how 'suspicious' people can be. They will end up with about $50,000 in their hand and it will not impact the worth of their home as the land is kind of useless.
    Has anyone else asked a neighbour for a boundary realignment and what has been your experience?

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

I'd say cost it all up, get a proper appraisal for value and put it all in writing, including a plan of how your driveway will work, then politely knock on the door, introduce yourself and leave them with the proposal on paper once you;ve explained it as you leave for them to ponder.

If it were me though, unless I was skint and it was worth a lot of money, it would look like you're wanting the second access from their street so you can subdivide your block? I'd prefer to keep my useless triangle of land in order to keep my peace and quiet of not having a driveway next to my house and a potential additional property at the back. If that's your plan you;d prbably have to pay a lot more than just land value to get them on side.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Can you do the subdivision without their piece of land?

If not, their piece of land is probably worth more than the market price based on sqm alone.. I would be offering a slight premium to market or start at market and be prepared to pay more.

If I was personally approached by a real estate agent I would be more suspicious than if approached directly.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I would probably approach the neighbour very casually first, just to sound them out.

If you broach the subject along with an offer and paperwork it might make them feel threatened. Not good for future negotiations.

But if you start off just mentioning that you've noticed the extra bit of land and that you were wondering if they might consider selling it to you, it'll be a gentler approach.

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I would approach personally
    Ask to rent the triange (to get access to reno, car parking, build shed)
    Or ask for a 99 year lease of the triangle ?

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Maybe by making their block smaller they are limiting their future selling opportunities, subdvivision chances etc.

But you will never know unless you ask.

I would expect that you will have to pay a premium for the land unless they are desperate for money.
    Marg

7. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Really keen to hear how this pans out. Make sure you give them a decent offer up front. It's not like buying a house where you can get away with lowballinf it and have a second shot.

You should be paying what it's worth to you, which sounds like it is higher than its market value on a per sqm rate

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Brits

Brits Member

Thanks to all replies. I think too that the "just wondering" approach might be best at first.
    I get what some are saying that neighbours may be suspicious and also not want to help in anyway with a subdivision that will see a house right up against their property.
    The thing is I will be saying to them that I want to renovate the front house for my own purposes.
    In subdividing the block into two I can pay for this reno and they will have one house built on a substantial piece of land behind them. The alternative is that the whole block is sold to a developer and he/she will build 3 townhouses (possibly double story). So I guess if it were me I would prefer a two block subdivision behind my house rather than three squashed in double story town houses up against my fence.
    I am not going to be black mailing them of course but will quietly mention that this is the other option for me.
    As far as the reduction in worth of their house is concerned, given the layout, I really don't think it's going to affect it at all. However the money has got to be worth it for them I agree. Who knows what their financial situation is like. I might be the overseas holiday they've always dreamed of.
    In answer to whether I can subdivide the block into two including a drive down the side of my block entry from my street - can be done and often is in this area but wouldn't get anywhere near the money I would if the back block had it's entry from back neighbour's street.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia