Best way manage funds for 60-70K car

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by mortyc137, 16th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mortyc137

mortyc137 New Member

I'm not sure how to best manage my finds for a car that I want to buy. I would appreciate not to be lectured about purchasing an expensive 4WD. I get enough of that from my Dad. I've just hit 15% growth in my suburb last year and I've worked hard over the last 15, and I want a lifestyle change and start going outback with my boy.

I will soon have two houses after finalizing a property division.

Original house: $260K (Rented for $300 pw)
    New house: $310K (Living in)

Mortgage: $370K (20K tied up for a private loan) leaves $66K available for use

I went to the dealer today and I saw a car I like that I could get for about 70K but lets say for argument sake it's 66k. This was a new car and was approaching the price of a demo for previous year. BTW it's a Patrol

What options do I have?

First option is a finance option for a new car for future value. (Not buying into it) can't see it winning despite the dealer clearly prepared to make a loss on the vehicle given the heavy discount they were prepared to give me. They seem desperate to sell cars right now with Covid.

Option 2: Get part or all in a personal loan and use my mortgage funds for shares or other investment options.

Option 3: Buy the car outright with my mortgage........Buuuuuuuut make extra contributions to reduce the term of the loan to ensure I'm not paying the loan over the next 20 years.

Are there any other options that I can use? I'm at a stage in my life where I'm happy to allow my first property to continue in positive cashflow and keep using that in future as equity base to avoid capital gains. I'd like to retire at some stage with two houses paid outright and access to my super for an easy lifestyle.

2 people like this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

best to split the loan and use borrowed funds to buy and at housing rates and pay it off asap - assuming the interest not deductible.

or pay cash from offset accounts.?

2 people like this.