Best vinyl plank flooring and underlay to please body corp

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lollie, 16th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

My unit is on the ground floor, no common walls and with the car parking underneath. I'm about to do a complete reno.

Body Corporate have a blanket ban on hard flooring. I didn't know this when I gave them the scope of works.

In the scope of works, the builder may not have worded this correctly - `Installation of new flooring throughout vinyl timber plank style'

I'm hoping I might just need to clarify with BC that we're using vinyl and not timber, but to get the best chance of being allowed to lay vinyl flooring, is there a type of vinyl and/or accoustic underlay that rates best for noise reduction?

There doesn't appear to be an actual by-law about hardflooring, I don't think, just the following stated in the renovation application form;

Floor coverings (evidence attached)
    The Strata Schemes Management Act (2015) requires that all non-wet areas are to be covered with soft coverings, such as carpet, or otherwise treated to an extent sufficient to prevent the transmission of noise from floor space that is likely to disturb the peaceful enjoyment of other occupiers

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

There you go. It isn't likely to disturb the occupants of the car park.

Always easier to get these things through if you are on the committee as you get to understand what the committee is thinking .

3. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

I would be on the committee if I didn't live so far away. Can they just say no and be unfair - `if we can't have it you can't either?'

4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Committees often run on email - you don't have to be local.

In short, you have recourse if they are being unreasonable via NCAT.

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Hodor, wylie, Pumpkin and 1 other person like this.
  6. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Yes, I've actually just joined one committee and it is via email. I'll keep NCAT in mind, hopefully we don't have to go there. If I go ahead and put the vinyl flooring down what can they do?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It'll only be an issue if someone notices, very unlikely if it's over the carpark. Keep all of the acoustic data on file.

Lollie likes this.
  8. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

yes, will do

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Noise transmission isn't only thru the floor
    When changing from carpet to hardwood noise echoes and carries more

It is like that annoying neighbor at the other end of your apartment floor that lets the entry door/apartment door slam, it can scare the poo out of you (like it was your door), the floors above and below also endure it :mad:

10. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

My unit has had a history of mould and moisture issues due to the ground floor position facing an internal courtyard and with strata not cutting back the foliage like they should be.

Both my property manager and builder recommended not putting carpet down due to the potential of health issues and being sued by a tenant .

While the builder was pulling up the carpet he noticed it was full of moisture and smelled of mould. He said he can't put carpet down, only vinyl. He has written a letter detailing what he found during the building process. and why he decided to put vinyl down.

BC has a very nosey, nasty member who treats the building like his own and causes conflict with lot owners and tradies over work. This member follows people around and enters their lot without approval to inspect people's work. BC have made very strict rules for tradies and noise.

Needless to say they have seen my flooring and have sent me letters which I've ignored thus far.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Putting down vinyl won’t fix the mould problem. It might make it more obvious.

You need to address the mould issue first.

12. Scott No Mates

Did he take moisture readings of the floor?

13. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

They look nice.

I laid some that were similar but the brand I used had a slight bevel around the board which I would avoid in the future as I prefer the seamless look feel and easier to keep clean for anyone interested. Very happy with the style of product.

14. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Probably not.

However, there is a history of moisture issues outlined in property management correspondence. Complaint letters and photos of mould from tenants, recommendations from PMs and experts such as having to hire 2 humidifiers for tenant.

15. Scott No Mates

@Lollie - you will need to prove that moisture is the issue by providing moisture readings to the strata manager, they can then be pushed to investigate if the source is from the common area eg failure of the membrane under the slab.

16. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

The unit lacks natural light getting in because of it's position.

There also needs to be a vent installed. I've noticed many of the other units in the building have vents. I would need to get approval from strata to install a vent and they would most likely not approve it.

17. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I'll organise a moisture reading.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

An unpowered vent may not be sufficient.

19. Lollie

Lollie Well-Known Member

20. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,
    Who could we hire to help to investigate the flooring moisture issue? or if you have anyone in western sydney?
    Cheers,
    LC

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.