Cars & Motorbikes Best Value "Car" (or MV) Insurer

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by WestOz, 15th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Car is up for renewal, never had a claim, no offences other than minor speed camera, every year the premium is increased, yet I go on their site for quote (they ob play the game I won't) and it's cheaper than the renewal, even though renewal has loyalty discount, and have other policies with them, whilst I know I can call and haggle I feel we shouldn't have to...

We research/compare landlord insurance, do the same for other, they all have their own T&C's, long fine print pdf's to frustratingly troll through.
    Very time consuming comparing individual online quotes, those that compare many want contact details so they can call/harass.
    Researching forums some have poor reputations incl customer service, long claim times, not prefered repairer etc, one person praises them, the next bags them...

Obviously it comes down to vehicle, location, age, previous experience etc..
    However for the more knowledgeable in this area (perhaps legal minded, brokers etc) I'm more interested in reputable companies who value customers long-term loyalty rather than treating them like suckers.

Appreciate any opinions.

2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Shannons for something interesting. Nrma otherwise.

Choice of repairer and windscreen cover are the two most important things for me.

3. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

The ABC "Checkout" show did a story on this behaviour of insurance companies, labeling it a "lazy tax" for those that don't check whether their renewal premium is still competitive, even with the same company. As far as I am aware, they pretty much all do it. See:

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they do the Lazy Tax thing as well, if any of them you'd think they'd be the leaders in loyalty etc, altho it's RAC for me over here, ~$150 more expensive than 3 others with choice, screen, but more importantly for me NCB protection.

There's certainly a market out there for a provider that does what they promote.
    As well as an unbiased comparison site.

5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Yeah. I always call them up or do an online quote. Although past my mail renewal notice has been cheaper the past 2 years.

AAMI is cheaper but no choice of repairer.

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Yes read a few horror stories re repairer, don't believe they have NCB protection either, can't see it anywhere.

7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'm with Suncorp and quite like them for their comprehensive insurance.

I find their choice of repairer process much better than NRMAs.

Suncorp
    1. Call Suncorp after the accident. Tell them which repairer you want to take the car to
    2. Take your car to your choice of repairer at any time (as long its before the date in point 3 - which you nominate anyway).
    3. Take your car to their service centre who then spend 10-15 mins to assess the repairers quote. If its all good, then they approve it on the spot.
    4. Call your repairer and arrange a time to drop off that works for all parties.

NRMA
    1. Call Suncorp after the accident. Tell them which repairer you want to take the car to. They tell you they are unsure when the assessor is going to be in the area of where your repairer is located and that the repairer will call you once they find out when the assessor is coming around.
    2. The repairer will call you and tell you the week the assessor is coming (usually within 2 weeks of your call to notify of the claim). You need to leave the car at the repair shop while this bit is happening.
    3. Once the repair is approved, you either take your car back from the repairer or leave it with them, depending on how busy they are.

Difference:
    NRMA offer Choice of repairer, but make it bloody hard and inconvenient to do so.
    Suncorp are way more flexible. I've only been without my car for the period the repairer needs time to actually fix it (eg. Once the repairs are approved, they order the parts required so no time is wasted on waiting for it to ariive).

NRMA alternative
    Take it to one of their preferred repairers.... which is obviously the path they prefer you to take.