Best time of day for inspections & auction

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Beck, 17th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beck

Beck Member

I'll be selling a house at auction in late November. I'm trying to work out what time of day is best to have inspections and the auction. I've tried googling it to see if there's any info but I really couldn't find anything helpful. I was hoping there might be some research done on the subject but if there is I couldn't find it.

The house is within 750m-1km of a primary school and also a high school. Would it be beneficial to schedule weekday inspections before or after school pick up times? It's on a somewhat busy road but not a main road. I don't know if it's better to have them during quieter times.

Any opinions or hints on where to find any relevant info would be great :)

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Near a school - outside of school times as you don't want all the screaming of kids or traffic from pick up.

3. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'd definitely have inspections not too close to school-day start or finish times. As a teacher, and a parent (and as any other parents on here who do the after school pickup will tell you), 3pm near any school is an absolute nightmare. I work in a high school, with a primary school over the road - and it's double the chaos! You run the risk of turning off potential buyers, once they see the traffic at that time of the day.

Anyone looking at moving in the house, with young/school-aged children, will have already located the school's proximity to your place. But for those without kids - well, you may not want to draw to their attention just how busy the road is near your house, plus the potential foot traffic of the kids/parents arriving and leaving etc.

Maybe organise the odd 'open for inspection' on a weekday, about half an hour after school has started, or finished, for the day - and make sure there's a big sign out the front of your place that clearly indicates those times. It gives the drop-off/pick-up parent time to get to the school, and out again, and still get to your inspection, but most of the traffic is likely to have gone by then, so you're less likely to scare off the non-school buyers.

4. Beck

Beck Member

Thanks for the input. I was thinking the same thing. The agent wants to schedule most of the weekday opens for around 11am or 2pm.

The first Saturday open is scheduled for 4pm and the auction at 3pm. I'm really not sure how I feel about it. I'm worried that 3pm is too late in the day. But then you probably don't want it between 11am and 1.30pm because that's when the majority of auctions are on. I know I've had to make the decision which auction to prioritise when I've been buying.

5. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure how the weather is (in terms of heat) at that time of the year, where you are, but as the weather gets warmer, I'd be trying to avoid an auction in the middle of the day - too hot to be standing out in the sun (if it's at your property).

6. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

What has your agent suggested and what are the local sales doing?

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The school wouldnt be open on Saturday inspections?

For weekdays 750-1km is heaps away. I live well under that from a high school and after 8.45 the traffic up the road is done. So anywhere from 11am-2pm would be fine

8. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Schools are no longer 9-5 Mon-Fri. Many have after school activities, lease their grounds to sporting and community groups, church services on the week end etc so the parking and noise may actually be worse.

Week days there would be sport on at certain times so consider that as well as recess and lunch periods.

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Me too! I'm lucky that mine is in a quiet area, so here are mine:
    Sat: 11:45 - 12:15
    Thu: 1:00 - 1:30
    Sat: 10:00 - 10:30
    Thu: 5:15 - 5:45
    Sat: 10:00 - 10:30
    Thu: 5:15 - 5:45
    Action, Sat, 12:30 pm

I just went with what my agent recommended. I hired a good agent so I may as well trust him with the marketing campaign. :)

I agree about avoiding school times. Traffic and noise could put off potential buyers.

10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

3:00pm is a late auction but there might be a compelling reason why.

Maybe they have a better property going for auction at 2:00pm and hope to get the underbidders through yours.

The prime times are 11:00am, 12:00pm and 1:00pm for Melbourne.

10:00 is the earliest I would do an auction but Melbourne tends to wake up later...

2:00pm would be the latest as people are thinking about dinner and going out after these times.

End of the day if a buyer wants to purchase your property they will make time to be at your place, however find out why the REA wants it late as it makes sense if earlier in the day are nicer properties and they want to move the ones who missed out to yours.

Also as everyone has said I wouldn't hold OFI any time near school times. Depending on how close you are to the city a weekday inspection might be a waste of time, esp if you are targeting young families with the school.

Think about what you do after 5:00pm on a day? Dinner, Bath, Bed is what we are doing between 5-7:00pm.

Perthguy likes this.
  11. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

I like the inspections that are between 5-6. When I used to work full-time, I'd finish at 5pm and then be able to attend an open house on the way home from work. It worked out well because I also had to work Saturday.

12. Big Will

What if the house is 45 mins from the city in peak hour doesn't work to well :)

13. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Not everyone works in the city ;) Also, I had a good boss who let me leave 30 minutes early to get there in time :)

14. Big Will

Yes some people work on the other side of the city :)

Up to the individual if they want to, I know for me where I live it is a waste of time as I would rather the 1-2 groups to come through on the weekend and make it appear there is more competition. Of course if it was a second inspection then for sure you would be more accommodating.

15. Nathan Simon

Nathan Simon Well-Known Member

Hey guys, Im a RE agent on the GC.

I've noticed a new trend with inspections and also Auction times. Depending on the location of course, many agents are leaning towards late arvo/evening auctions. This does bring in more traffic, however depending on your area, best to do the auction to suit the weather. Eg: hot area, in the morning or evening (cooler periods)