QLD Best suburbs - Gold Coast v southside Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by The Chaser, 20th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Chaser

The Chaser Active Member

Hi everyone

We will be moving from interstate to Brisbane/Gold Coast in January and are just trying to sort out where to live. We are flying to Brisbane for a few days next week specifically to check out where we might live and schools in the area. We will most likely rent for the first 6-12 months and then look to buy a PPOR. At that stage we would be looking at $550k-$750k, with the upper end of the price bracket requiring no major renovations. House wise we require a 4x2x2 (plus study if possible) and would look at the suburb’s investment potential.

The difficulty is that work will be in Tweed Heads for 6-12 months and then based in Brisbane city after that. However, we have two sons in secondary school going into year 10 and the all-important year 12, so we won’t have the luxury of renting near Tweed initially and then moving again. We need to choose our location carefully to be a good balance between changing work needs (in particular travelling times), access to a good secondary school for the next 3 years and a desirable lifestyle.

We are after a suburb to suit a family with teenagers and and easy access to local services/shops. We would like to be near to a good independent or Catholic secondary school but would also consider a state high school – it really comes down to individual school’s reputation. Proximity to a university for our eldest son in 12 months time would also be a bonus, as would a local junior football club for our younger son.

The best we have come up with so far is possibly central or northern Gold Coast or southside of Brisbane, but we are very open to feedback, as we don’t know the area well or the reputation of various suburbs/locations or schools. We are hoping to drill down to a few select areas ready to explore when we fly over. Coming from Perth we think we may prefer the more relaxed coastal lifestyle of the Gold Coast versus big city living.

Any suggestions for suburbs to look at (or avoid) would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

Angela [​IMG]:)

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Burleigh Varsity Reedy Creek

The traffic will be a killer but access to high quality schooling in the region is great with a large concentration of newish growth schools in that are for seniors.

Kings Christian College has also opened a Campus around Pimpama recently though not sure if Seniors. Very different residential product around there though

ta

rolf

3. The Chaser

The Chaser Active Member

Thanks Rolf. I did look at that part of the GC initially but decided that once he was working in Brisbane hubby would just spend too much of his life in traffic after his typical 10-12 hour day (great for Tweed Heads access early on though). I personally prefer the housing stock in that area though versus the more standard 4x2x2 project home style product in Pimpama.

Having grown up in NSW I’m only really familiar with the tourist areas around Burleigh Heads/Surfers/Broadbeach from our family holidays to Qld, but would obviously avoid the touristy areas for our needs. Looking at the map I thought that GC suburbs in a line from about Broadbeach going north might suit better for the longer term. It looks like a typical trip from the GC to Brisbane city via the M1 is around an hour give or take. This assumes no accidents, road works etc, of which I’m sure there are plenty that cause travelling times to blow out! Is this about right?

4. Rolf Latham

we have an office off exit 69.

Oddly enough thats 69 ks from the CBD ( took me 6 years to work that one out one day :) )

if nil traffic, sub 40 mins to the CBD

if leaving at 6 am, about an hour

if leaving at 730 am , about .................... 90 minutes if no other snarls.

Tradie traffic starts to fill the M1 from 530 onwards

A 7.30 am or 10 am job start is the only way I would commute to Brissie from GC
    '
    Coming home tends to be worse, especially Fridays

Most of the southern schools do have a bus run , though its an early start for the kiddies

ta

rolf

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Have you considered buying something near a train station? This way you could potentially get a great place in the middle and avoid the traffic. Preferably something with an express train station.

6. Rolf Latham

I have done the train outside of peak, and its a treat.

I have heard the commuters refer to the GC to Brissie train as the " Bombay Special" .......... dunno if it its really that full.

ta
    rolf

7. Noobieboy

I didn’t take GC to Brissie but I took the peak hour train from Bald Hills to Brissie and from Ipswich to Brissie. Both were nowhere near full. No seats, but plenty of standing space....

8. Noobieboy

I could only assume GC is not much different to the other two

9. Rolf Latham

I recall a few years back there was a joke going round that they should remove the seats on the express trains for most of the carriages to increase capacity :)

Im a sydney Red Rattler fan so I reckon the Brissie trains are very very nice

ta
    rolf

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be buying to suit the school run that will last for another three years for the younger son. And if they may go to uni afterwards, I'd look to live somewhere to allow easy access to uni (which uni?).

Unless your husband wants to commute daily to Brisbane, why would you choose the coast? If he is only likely to be working at the coast for six to twelve months, he may really start to wish you'd bought in Brisbane. Six (or twelve) months will go quickly.

(I've no idea whether your sons could go to uni at or near the coast.)

My husband worked for about nine months travelling from Coorparoo to Southport. He hated it, especially driving home into the sun, and other friends have just moved back to Brisbane after being at Ashmore for 30 years. He has driven to Brisbane every morning for about twelve years after he transferred to the city. For the past few years, he has caught the train.

Even for the past twelve years two of their sons have also travelled to Brisbane to work and to uni. I never understood why they didn't just move back ten years ago.

But ultimately, where do you want to live?

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If the Tweed work is only for 6-12 months, I would focus on Southside Brisbane.

As @wylie said, maybe start with the school.

Hubby commuted from Southside Brisbane to Bundall for around eight months some years ago. Most of the commute on the M1 is from the Gold Coast to Brisbane, so he was going against the main traffic flow.

Griffith Uni has a major campus at Parkwood near Southport. Bond Uni is at Robina.
    Marg

12. The Chaser

The Chaser Active Member

Hi all

Thanks for the great replies, really appreciate it. We have taken on board your comments (especially re the long term impact of travelling times) and are starting to accept that south of Brisbane is the more logical choice. The travel to Tweed Heads won’t be fun, but at least it’s only 6-12 months.

Compared to Perth living in a busy location like Brisbane will be a big change for us, so would love any feedback on areas to target that match our OP. We may increase our budget to $800k when the time comes to buy just due to the higher cost closer to Brisbane.

Would love a leafy suburb with a bit of green space or perhaps even near the river (minus the flood risk :)). Having said that hubby found this website and after looking purely at travelling times (which understandably have him nervous) and aiming for about one hour to Tweed Heads he came up with a suburb called Springwood. I think it also appealed because there are some bigger house blocks in the area, so more space and not so much the big city feel. His approach is a bit like sticking a pin in a map really. :)
    Brisbane peak hour: when the gridlock starts and ends

It looks like the closer you get to Brisbane the better the public transport options, and travel times to the CBD are only about 15-20mins, which is great, but travel to Tweed blows out. Areas like Sherwood, Chelmer, Coorparoo, look great but then the Tweed factor kicks in and I get confused! Ignoring the Tweed issue, good access to the CBD for work, close to a great school and uni, good public transport options for the boys and good local services would have us covered. But Tweed is a factor. Argghh!

Schools are still a sticking point. Also eldest son will be going to uni in 2020 and it looks like QUT will be best for his chosen course. As we lack local knowledge (big time!), if there are areas/schools that we should definitely avoid please let us know. The Logan area sounds like one of those. Back to my research...

Angela

13. Mel_C

Mel_C Well-Known Member

You probably need to come over for a visit and drive about suburbs ! Have a look at Ormeau but on the left side of motorway I was surprised there are nice acreage properties there and is ok commute to brisbane and GC. I can help you with GC schools. Can your partner drive outside peak hour? If yes I would live on GC . All of Brisbane is pretty bad for traffic in peak hour. You should try and stay working in Tweed can have a lovely lifestyle down there ;)

The Gambler likes this.
  14. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

There are plenty of nice places up near the Springwood Conservation Park on Plateau Drive that fit the leafy and quiet criteria. I think you'll be looking at around 550-750 for a good to great place in that area.

15. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

if I was you, I would be looking for a house inside a catchments of those high school, Mansfield, Cavendish or Mount Gravatt SHS, I came from Perth too and I reckon you will love Brisbane. ( still I prefer Perth)

16. The Chaser

The Chaser Active Member

Thanks for all the great replies. After further research the past couple of days, hubby and I have decided we are definitely only looking at southside Brisbane for our move. Thanks for helping us decide! :)

We are still very keen to get some feedback on secondary schools and suburbs in the area. However, as I named this thread Gold Coast v southside Brisbane I thought it might be best to start a new thread just focusing on southside Brisbane. Thanks again for all the replies.

17. Brody Hales

Brody Hales Active Member

Hello - my pick would be Gold Coast. On the QLD bandwagon!