Best streets in a given suburb

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Anki, 28th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Anki

Anki Active Member

Hi All,

Buying in a right street in a given suburb is key decision which may affect the future gains.

So wondering if there are any free tools/docs available which can help in making this decision?

Thanks,
    Anki

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think this knowledge is very local and best bet is to find someone local and ask directly.

Of course, you can get a general idea of different streets from google street view. But "on the ground" knowledge from a local is best IMO.

Of course, that can backfire too. There are streets in Coorparoo, Holland Park, Greenslopes area that I wouldn't have touched with a barge pole 20 years ago that are having money poured into them and housing commission houses slowly being replaced with much nicer new builds, so I've had to think again about where I'd buy not compared to 20 years ago. Things can change over time.

Anki and Bran like this.
  3. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

+1

It get's even more detailed than that too. In general terms though, the area should lift somewhat in unison.

Ripehouse tries to do this at street level, and Jacob runs a few videos to get the most of it. I found this pretty helpful and accurate, but really only delved into areas I already owned so see how they compared

Anki likes this.
  4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Around Mt Druitt I just do drive bys. If I can drive through a street and not have an object thrown at me then I know it's a street worth looking at.

Christian, Observer, bdydrp and 8 others like this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Aren't you looking for those streets that haven't yet gentrified? By the time the assaults stop, the gains have already been made

Anki, datto and Phase2 like this.
  6. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not think you need to get too stuck on streets.......

You can usually see if a street is bad, you could also look at sale and asking prices to find the more desirable places, if your trying to do it all online, then that may be harder, otherwise your eyes and senses are free, maybe I am just old fashioned....like Datto, I get out there and test things out, if I am not mugged or abused or nearly run over by the traffic, then it is going well and a good spot :)

Observer and Anki like this.
  7. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

streets are hard to dictate, you could wait a year for a place to come up for sale. Some streets maybe more exp than others but new records are created all the time.

as for ex-housing commission houses, Go look at power avenue, chadstone and tell me those concrete houses does not look like the ones in St Albans or Dandenong. even those not rebuilt are sold for closing in the million. Many people maybe 10 years ago wouldn't even touch these. and they're gone up like couple hundred percent for some who bought then

Anki likes this.
  8. Anki

Anki Active Member

Thanks for your replies. Looks like best option is to get on the wheels.

Would be going to Sunshine, Melbourne tomorrow to observe the street appeal. Planning to buy IP on a good Street.

9. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

i think if you going to get on the "good streets" you gong to pay premium like the rangeview grove in balywn north, or the haig st in heidleberg heights or bogong avenue in glen waverley or fawkner st aberfeldie/essendon. I think the not so good streets are easier to get into unless the wallet is unlimited. and will have capacity to appreciate more since they will grow after the others when the other streets cap. No different to other suburbs ripple off from the premium suburb. This street power avenue in chadstone and ashwood 10+ years ago when i was in uni was not really a street people wanted to live. But urban dev in chadstone etc look at 42 power avenue, Ashwood. ex-housing commmission home 490K in 2009 sold 2015 -1.06 mil (more than 100% growth)

upload_2016-7-29_22-46-21.png

upload_2016-7-29_22-47-27.png

Attached Files:

Whitecat and Anki like this.
  10. Anki

Anki Active Member

That's a fair point. Love your replies mate.

Still it would be better in long term to buy on good streets in rising suburbs - provided it is within budget.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple of websites that give the highest and lowest median streets, can't remember off the top of my head.
    You really need to become familiar with an area though.

Anki likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Better yet, if you can park the car & walk in for an OFI. If you come back and the car is still there (unmarked), it's a good sign.

Anki and datto like this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Lucky they can't afford guns to return fire.

datto likes this.
  14. dabbler

LOL, the SW With Bankstown LGA pretty much owns this space, of course many inhabitants think working for cash while being an unemployed student pensioner is the go, they can afford guns and ammo and regularly use them.

I am sure the Druitt can't be that bad minus maybe a few streets ?

Elsewhere we went to look at a possible IP, I kid you not when I say we got about 30m away from the car when all these young guys just appeared and started to attempt to break into the car, I was a bit taken back that they did it with us in full view, needless to say we skipped the inspection then and there. :eek:

hash_investor and datto like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Far out, that sounds rather pleasant doesn't it.
    Where was that?

16. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I seriously think people saying all these bad things about druitt... they are joking

17. dabbler

Regional houso area....if you hit jackpot you hit it big !

Yeah, I think they are taking the what's it called out of some.....but I am sure there must be a few choice streets :)

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Weird stuff.
    Did you just sort of "shoo" them away from your car? Or chuck some winnie reds around to distract them?

19. dabbler

they scattered as soon as they knew I was heading back...petty thieves, the type that will smash your window for coins.

20. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

Chat to the local police in your targeted area outside 'busy hours' and tell them you're wanting to move in (try Sunday night after 10pm etc). You'd be surprised how much insight they can offer on the rougher parts/streets, repeat crime areas, robberies, housing commission etc.

Local real estate agents/property managers can be helpful too if you make it sound like they could get some business off you ;)

Anki likes this.