Best split system air con for rental home?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by scoop, 9th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scoop

scoop Member

Old box reverse cycle air con/heater in rental property may have failed. Any recommendations on a good quality replacement unit for tenants which will last and be low maintenance? And better to go split system or just whack in a new box unit? Thanks

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you can easily patch where the box is removed, I'd go with a split of a suitable size for the room/s. We chose Mitsubishi most recently.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's probably a coin operated system around, so the tenant can pay for the power AND pay for the unit simultaneously :oops:

Phoenix Pete likes this.
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Split systems are often on sale. Wall mounts not so much. I would add a split system I think it looks better. As a buyer I look at removing a wall mount as an added cost

5. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The box units cost the same as splits and use a tonne of power, the only saving is in the install- which is cheaper when you don't have to use an electrician.

We've installed a LOT of Rinnai units in the past two years and haven't had any problem with them. Cheap too.

If you want to be sure you wont have problems, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries make a rock solid unit, but you'll pay for it.

jared7825 likes this.
  6. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

I would always put in a spilt rather then replace with another box AC

Ive had Fujitsu in my PPOR going strong for almost 10years, have had Mitsubishi also and they have been good and around the same price, usually you can get deals or cash back.

Cheers Tom on the Rinnai feedback as they were a few hundred cheaper but decided to stick to what I know (Fujitsu) on the last one I had installed

7. UNITS4ME

UNITS4ME Member

Installation cost is high, so makes no sense to put in a crappy no name split AC. Mitsubishi Heavy is my preference.

Tom Rivera likes this.