Best sites to gather suburb reports

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by Jarred Ando 1995, 24th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jarred Ando 1995

Jarred Ando 1995 Member

Hi guys,

Just seeing if anyone out there recommends any websites that produce reliable and upto date property/lifestyle stats for suburbs around australia eg. corelogic ect.

Prefrebly looking for a free option if avaliable. I'm currently using sites like realestate.com, residex but wanting to dig a little deeper.

cheers :)

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What sort of info are you looking for? I have to admit, its not part of my DD, because most of the information on those reports I think is mostly useless.

3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I find the information by and large out of date if you are making a decision. The best way to know a market is to drive around it.

Jarred Ando 1995 likes this.
  4. Jarred Ando 1995

Jarred Ando 1995 Member

mainly after key information about individual suburbs like population growth, demografics, wage growth in area. Basically any stats that can help identify areas that may have some future growth.

thanks

5. thatbum

Or be 'on the ground' - going to home opens, seeing what sells, seeing how long it takes, and for how much.

MTR and Jarred Ando 1995 like this.
  6. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Booyah! Home opens home opens home opens.
    If your spouse is not complaining about how many you go to you are not going to enough.

7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Haha!

Add to that, get to know the RE's. You can learn a lot from them. I tend to chat to them about the property market rather than individual properties, it tends to be a shared interest that the friendly ones love to chat about. They live and breathe it so have good info - the good ones do, anyways.

Also property managers - they'll be able to tell you what's in demand from tenants.

8. thatbum

Agreed 100%

When I was looking for my first property, I was averaging around 10 home viewings a weekend for a period of 8 months. I think in that time I had literally only one weekend off from doing the home open thing.

No regrets whatsoever - I knew the areas better than any of the agents I was dealing with, and so when I finally secured the one I wanted, I knew it was an absolute zinger.

Fortunately my girlfriend at the time was cool about it and quite happy to come along to viewings.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just adding to this important to network with agent in the area and lots to keep them honest

Need to ask the right questions, who is buying, how long is it taking for properties to sell, what product is selling, average number of listings per month

10. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

My boss can out do me when it comes to opens, only problem is, she looks at the wrong price range and at things too move into ! :eek:o_O

For demographics etc home | .id the population experts

But is also on various other sites, you need to dig through them all to see what suits you.

Jarred Ando 1995 and Agent30yrs. like this.
  12. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A site like this is a good base line to start from,just for prior sales in different locations,but none will predict property prices changes accurately enough ,or have the resources and flexibility to adapt in sufficient time to keep pace with way prices change very quickly..not yet..
    Onthehouse.com.au: Your Home for Property Research

14. Mitchell

Mitchell Active Member

What sort of lifestyle stats are you looking for?
    Personally I find it's best to look everywhere.
    REI (like REIQ / REINSW) sites can help. Wikipedia the suburb/areas, ABS statistics, realestate.com.au insights, domain.com.au, forums like this one, taking to local real estate agents, go to the local pub and chat to people, use sqm research, core logic, pricefinder, department of housing sites, government publications.

15. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

when buying interstate, i also use this site to understand the suburb and demographics before visiting. On the ground research is hard to beat

16. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member