Best security camera

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TMNT, 12th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

A Long term tenant who has had ex issues since moving in, wants a security camera installed

Havent worked out the details of who is paying and exactly what type of system , but im considering it

But,
    Assuming its just one camera that takes video of the front area of the house, does anyone have any recommendations?

I dont want to get one thats stupidly hard to use eg software wise or she'll just complain,
    Dont want one thats complicated either,
    Dont want one thats going to break within 6 weeks either

2. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

Have you considered re :
    wireless vs hard wired
    Dome vs bulket vs turret
    Ip based
    Dvr vs nvr etc...

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have Google Nest cameras after our neighbours were robbed a while back. I can see who is at the door from my computer or on my phone, home or away. There is about a five second delay and I have it set up so I get a "ding". I can turn the notification off when I'm at home but I tend to leave it on all the time.

Ours were installed by an electrician, and cost us about $230(ish) each but recently @Paul@PFI posted a link to a small one inch cubed camera that didn't need wiring.

Global Shop Direct - Australia's home of great As Seen on TV ideas! | Global Shop Direct - As Seen On TV

You can get these on eBay too. They look good.

AxeLy and Redwing like this.
  4. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

If it were me, I'd simply give the tenant permission to have them installed - that way, totally on them for knowing how to use it, maintenance of the hardware, etc etc. And you can then stipulate when they leave they either leave it installed (if it's good and something you like) or they remove it and patch n paint any installation holes/points etc.

At my previous PPOR I used Swann pack off the shelf from Bunnings or JB HiFi etc, it was excellent, very simply to use and install - didn't need a tech, just plug n play. At the complex I live in and manage now, Body Corp paid for a basic CCTV system, it's pretty mickey mouse still but does the job, not cheap though.

Redwing and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

nope, havent even started looking yet, and dont even know any of those words mean, but looking for cheaper for obvious reasons

that sounds like the best idea, let them install whatever they want, that relieves me of any responsbility if it doesnt work or too hard to use

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. Jasmine

Jasmine Well-Known Member

Don't bother with anything off the shelf from Bunnings or JB HiFi. They are just repackaged webcams (with bad quality). Lookup HIK Vision that make great devices and systems. If you go down the Bunnings/JBHiFi path stay away from WiFi Cameras. At a minimum, look for a Power over Ethernet (PoE) system.

Redwing and TheRayTracer like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Jaycar has some good home security products at affordable prices.

If there is a issue with a former partner then high quality vision, motion detection and thermal / IR are quite important to assist police charging a suspect. Also time logging and multiple angles. Wifi and small cameras really let you down in this area. Tip - Ensure the meter box is locked with a enrgy provided keyed lock, You dont want power to be flicked off.

Basic $449+cabling
    Concord 4 Channel HD DVR Package - 4x1080p Cameras | Jaycar Electronics
    Connect to a basic PC monitor. Comes with a 1TB DVR. Push notifications to app and device for alert so you dont also become obsessed with watching.

Last edited: 13th Mar, 2020
    Redwing and Michael Mitchell like this.
  8. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

If you want 'cheap' excellent quality systems, then Swann is the go. I use them and they are awesome. Looking at upgrading mine soon. They're about $1500 for a full 8 camera system thats 4K, motion detection, heat detection etc. And all connects to your phone (provided you connect it to your home internet).

If the tenant wants something they can take with them, then 'Arlo' is one brand to look at. Pricey, but wireless and can build your own system essentially - start with 1 camera and add more later.

The issue with wireless is that you can buy a wireless jammer off ebay (illegal, but easy to get), which will basically render the wireless ones useless.

9. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I definitely agree that you should give the tenant permission to supply and install the cameras. The details of whether they are kept or removed when she leaves is up to you, but I wouldn't put them in at your cost.

10. alicudi

alicudi Well-Known Member

I have some of those cheap ebay type systems at several properties and they are garbage. I just had a HIK Vision intercom door bell system fitted with 5 cameras and DVR and yes it was pricey compared to all of the ebay junk but it works a treat and the video quality difference is like comparing chalk and cheese especially at night time.