Travel & Holidays Best place/way to convert AUD to THB near BKK airport

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by The Y-man, 11th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hi All,

Doing a 1 day stop over in Bangkok en route to somewhere this weekend.
    Was not keen to spend 8 hours of it in a traffic jam, so have booked a hotel in Lat Krabang (next to Suvarnabhumi). Now one of the mission objectives for Thailand this time around is "eating durian". I am assuming "street supply" will be relatively plentiful - however, I will need local currency (doubt small vendors will take card!)

I have a Citi Plus card but the only Citi ATMs are in the city (boo hiss), and also a Qantas Travel Card.

All things internet talk of "high" atm fees on withdrawal on either card - any experience on how high, and whether better just to go to the standard airport money changers?

The Y-man

2. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Standard airport money changers usually charge a 20+% currency spread and a conversion fee on top so those "high" atm fees would want to be really, really ridiculous before I'd use a money changer.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. radson

radson Well-Known Member

oh god...just..why?

Ed Barton and The Y-man like this.
  4. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Does it matter if there are high fees when you are there for a day?
    I believe Bangkok bank has signs everywhere saying "accepts all cards". I think last time I withdrew money from my aussie CC with a Bangkok bank ATM was a few months ago and I think a bit under $1k. I was pretty ****** at the $8 fee (on top of their extra few $$ in exchange rate). But if you are just there for a day, can't imagine that amount matters.

Also there are some shops, restaurants, and hotels that have a stickers on the front window banning durian because it smells like puke. Please be considerate enough to eat it away from other people, and preferably on a deserted beach, and brush your teeth 5 times and gargle with 3 kinds of mouthwash before coming back to civilisation, unless you are specifically looking to lose friends and have your wife initiate divorce proceedings.

Ed Barton and The Y-man like this.
  5. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

Take cash and then just change it at the BKK airport. I have found that is the best way to get close to the real exchange rate.

Beano and The Y-man like this.
  6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I was there last week- BKK airport is close to the rate on the street - get it there and save the hassle
    Take cash, I only ever take cash (and cards for back up). I change a couple of hundred AUD each day so I don’t get ripped off or confused. Helps me keep track of what I’m spending. Where are u headed for the day in BKK?

Beano likes this.
  7. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

@The Y-man skip the durian and go for the mango sticky rice!! I got heavily addicted to it when I was there. I tried making it when I got home and it’s nothing like the real thing.

Beano likes this.
  8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Durian costs like $1. You could just change at the airport. I think the best place would be down the bottom where you get on the train.

The traffic there is not so bad either. I often arrive on the 4pm flight and head to the Asoke area and it takes about 40min. Sometimes the taxi queues are long, so it might be worthwhile going via train.

If you want to change a large amount head to SuperRich The Best Currency Exchange Rates | Super Rich Thailand
    24.55 today. The main place is near Central World not far from MBK or there are smaller branches all around the place - one at Asoke station.

Beano and The Y-man like this.
  9. The Y-man

Yeah - if only I could..... need to avoid carb (damn difficult in Asia) and definitely minimal sugar (double whammy for Thailand) :(

The Y-man

10. The Y-man

Must have just hit a bad time last time I was there :p

The Y-man

11. The Y-man

No chance of that! She's the Sarawakian wanting to eat it!

The Y-man

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2018
  12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Its about 200B per kg i think. about $7
    Here $28 per KG

The Y-man likes this.
  13. The Y-man

Funny thing is, the last time I bought a whole durian was in Indonesia. We went to a street vendor and asked him if they were local. He said, no, the local ones are small and tastes crap, these are from Thailand and Malaysia :eek: We were like.... what the... we came all this way and....oh well, time to find "the source" :D

The Y-man

WP_20170612_20_27_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170612_20_29_22_Pro.jpg