Best place to invest for long term ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by showtime94, 11th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. showtime94

showtime94 Well-Known Member

Hi what in your opinion is the best place, state etc to invest in if your looking at 10-20 years plus ?

2. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Well after my valuation came back yesterday from the bank - I'm more than 100% confident you should invest in North Brissy.

Closest to the CBD as possible but I'm seeing great revaluations coming back around the Bald Hills, Bracken Ridge, Strathpine and Petrie areas. That area is going to go bonkers soon.

3. showtime94

Are thoses areas you listed all in north brissy ?

4. eletronic_exp0430

Yes. Google maps is your friend.

showtime94 likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

20 year horizon will see lots of places do well. I'd go Brissy, inner to middle ring home in good OO area with above average land size. Get it at a good price for value or fair price . With a 20 year outlook you'll unlikely be disappointed .

MWI likes this.
  6. showtime94

OO areas ?
    Well what about 5-10 years ?
    And what about cashflow areas ?

7. eletronic_exp0430

In todays environment you need to consider cashflow as much as you consider capital growth if you want to continue to grow your portfolio. You need to look for good balance that will provide both.

A place that doesnt cost much to hold or zero to hold + provide the opportunity for significant growth within the next 5-10 years is what you want. You dont want to be putting in $2-3k out of our own pocket simply holding the house and paying the interest to the bank.

8. showtime94

Yeah exacly thats what i want , would u say logan is the best place for thoese properties? I got one in logan that looks after it self , i was just wondering if there are other areas with similar results

9. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Good that you thinking of holding long term..

But more important question is, what's the current cash flow like and what's the end goal?

Cheers,

David Shih likes this.
  10. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Can you please define what you mean by "best"? Best CG? Best cashflow? Best <fill in the blank>?

And what is your end goal?

Edit: @jazzsidana beated me to it with the same question lol - you can just answer it once to keep two guys happy :D

Cheers,
    David

11. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

loL.. let's say the question was on behalf of investors community .. :) to help another investor

Cheers,

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2018
  12. eletronic_exp0430

I don't put a single cent into any of my properties i hold in Brisbane thats how I can grow my portfolio so large. This is why its important to identify areas before the growth otherwise your already paying premium.

Like I said go north. You can still find value add potential homes at a great price and your yield will be high enough for you to easily hold the property.

Do your own research and you will know why.

13. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

hmm
    positive cashflow is very much a furphy
    I have one that is positive and I can assure you it ain't in a capital city
    only capital city suburb in Aus where positive might be possible would be Elizabeth and surrounds

Just to clarify - I'm talking positive based on 100% lend and based on current market value.

Even on 80% lend I dont think there would be any other capital city properties that qualify

I think a log of people who talk about being positive or neutral are just thinking of best case scenario

dabbler and ndpjai like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd largely agree from the ppl ive spoken to. After maintenance, vacant periods and all fees, there isnt much if anything left.

Personally I'd never invest in residential properties if I was after cash flow from day 1. There are much better options available for that .

15. eletronic_exp0430

If an investor doesn't consider cashflow these days your in for some serious trouble. Majority of people fail serviceability these days. You will NEVER get a loan without serviceability.

There is no ifs and buts about that. Unless you have massive massive capital its never going to work without cash flow.

And I think Brisbane is the city where cashflow is more important - its not Sydney where we just had the biggest capital growth in generations in a very short period of time so people buying stuff with massive holding costs still came out on top. Brisbane is steady growth over longer periods.

The longer you hold massive loans without significant capital growth or growth not far exceeding holding costs is asking for trouble. That is real money your losing or money eating into your real profits.

Last edited: 11th Oct, 2018
    ndpjai likes this.
  16. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Just as well you can buy much closer the the CBD and be fairly neutral than buying as far north as Petrie or Bald hills

Also depends on the OP goals, could be on a high income or the ability to service a better growth property, Inner /middle ring should far exceed outer in the long term -

Since OP is also asking 5-10yrs - I’d say Get as close as you can on the best block you can - depending on your budget of course. 8-12km a good compromise without compromising..

17. eletronic_exp0430

Thats what I said. Buy closest to the CBD you can afford but make sure you take both capital growth and cash flow into account.

My recommendation was purely based on my revaluation that came back to me yesterday which came back at a big increase even from the number I expected. That is all. Dont care if he invests up there or not obviously plenty of others are - hence driving up the price even more than my expectations.

18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

And here’s me thinking that B&H investing was so last century :D.

Put your money into shares. Even after today’s bloodbath, my share portfolio has yielded total returns of 18.2% pa (11.3% pa growth + 6.9% pa income) for last 16 years ago (started 22nd Oct, 2002) ;).

My property portfolio definitely hasn’t achieved that and it is a lot more work (than shares) :eek:.

Redwing, YourPD, Jimmy D and 2 others like this.
  19. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

But is ur share portfolio leveraged like a typical mortgage in the main capital cities?

20. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nope. No borrowings for share portfolio and the returns, growth and income, are tax-free as the shares are owned by our SMSF which in pension phase :D.

Our property portfolio is hugely negatively geared. In fact, we use some of our SMSF pension to cover the shortfall in our property portfolio :eek:.

I would love our property portfolio to achieve the same returns as our share portfolio, especially income ;).