"Best Offer"

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jasmine, 1st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Welcome to the property game.......you want professionalism ? lol...your in the wrong place for a large chunk anyway.

You can't change much with how an agent does things, many try this silent auction thing, some vendors (the govt for example) demand this, you can really only decide to play, or not.

As far as best offer, you really are better to be pretty much offering what you will pay when offering.

FWIW I been in a market that is a buyers market, quite a few agents put no price and or no address, stupidity in a slow market, BTW they do not contact you nor do call backs, so I am not sure why they want to harvest all the details (maybe they sell them).

Recently I replied to an ad that said address on application. On application, I got a reply that the vendor does not want the address given out...lol....jokers. Next.

kierank likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Hilarious! How are you supposed to inspect it? o_O

wylie likes this.
  3. JessL

JessL Member

Thanks very much Keiran for your insight! I am going to need to work on my poker face!!! :cool:

kierank likes this.
  4. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I've seen this for a house without an address that was up for auction and also had open house times.

This house also didn't have a board at the front of the property so I really want to know how people were meant to visit it without contacting the agent.

I got the address and it got pulled before auction though as the vendor changed their mind. They didn't want the address disclosed or a board up as they don't want the neighbours to know?

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Best way to learn is to 'Just do it' and analyse what worked/didn't work.

After a while, it becomes second nature. So much so, I now negotiate everything.

JessL likes this.
  6. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Does the legislation state that the offer needs to be presented or simply communicated? Here in WA it is the latter.

7. Perthguy

In WA I can tell my REA not to present or communicate offers under a certain amount. Of course I would never do that. I would want to see all offers.

8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I guess the agent drives you (blindfolded) in their car? ;)

kierank likes this.
  9. dabbler

I did not even want to inspect, just to know location first to see if interested....

Don't worry, I called them out for this as I accidentally found the house and it had a huge sign out the front, so I doubt the vendor said do not tell anyone !

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Big Will

You can give written instructions to the REA anyway regarding do not bring offers below x price.

However it is rare someone is going to try and do stupid offers and if they do the REA will likely block them by saying 'you will burn a lot of goodwill' or something. However if the buyer is persistent then yes the agent will have to present and maybe then you might consider it but it is already extremely rare to get one let alone two during a sale process... Unless of course all the buyers are speaking the same and the REA and vendor are that much out of touch (very unlikely).

Perthguy likes this.
  11. dabbler

This had a sign, it also had open house advertised for the day after I got the reply.

All these agents probably get tips or training on the latest practices etc, the thing that annoys me, apart from obstructing buyers, is they are doing the vendors such a dis service, it is not the vendors coming up with the strategies as many of them claim, otherwise these nongs would not be engaged in the first place. It is all about them when they play these games.

12. Big Will

Oh I don't like it because usually the address not disclosed is because it is in a bad location. However there are times you do find gems from the enquiry, I just wish there was a way to search the source coding to get the address... Even if it was just the street address without the number.

I agree though it is the REA and typically not the vendor calling these shots or influencing these decisions.

kierank likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Secret house. There is a show on TV where they do that. Its very strange.

14. Perthguy

I have turned up to a house inspection with an undisclosed address. The house was listed on re.com.au (no address) and I got a text from the agent: house inspection at 5.30 (no address). The funny thing is when I turned up for the inspection he didn't ask how I got the address! o_O

Barny, kierank and Big Will like this.
  15. dabbler

Ironically, I have not experienced this, with the one above is a great location, very well looked after.

16. Big Will

Maybe you know your market that well ;)

Would of been funny if you didn't know where the house was and the REA is like where were you and you text back I am at home as I didn't know the location of the property..

Perthguy likes this.
  17. LifesGood

The latest amendments to the code of conduct state "When acting for a client an agent or sales representative must communicate each offer to the client as soon as practicable after the offer is made." HOWEVER....the code also says "When acting for a client an agent or sales representative must act in good faith in the best interests of the client." so it is all down to interpretation really..and yes you are correct that if the owner gives specific instruction not to present certain offers then you should follow those instructions!

Those instructions are probably quite rare in this market I would imagine! :D

Perthguy likes this.
  18. dabbler

No...not really....is pass on offers unless instructed otherwise.

Agent should always be acting in vendors interest.

Different things really.

19. LifesGood

Isn't that what I said? Haha

20. dabbler

Maybe.....but the 2 were separated so seemed like you were saying an agent could avoid passing on all offers if they were looking after them.

All good

LifesGood likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia