Best investments for children

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by qonyx_sydney, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qonyx_sydney

qonyx_sydney Well-Known Member

Ok so heres the deal,

Ive been contributing $30/month since our kids were born plus depositing any monetary gifts into bank accounts for the kids. Upon review i realise that the interest rate is unlikely keeping up with inflation so want to shift this into something with a better return.

Was thinking of an index fund but seemed a real pain to setup.

Who has set something up similar and what did you do?

BTW there is about 2k each i have available and bumping contributions to $60/month/each

Thanks in advance

2. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

We purchased one Australian and one International ETF under our names and have it marked for the kids. We and they top up every 12 months or so.

Kai41314 likes this.
  3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

4. twistedstats

twistedstats Well-Known Member

Yes, there are ETF's listed on the ASX that may be a good alternative to getting the equities exposure you require (domestic and international). They would also typically pay you a dividend. Some have surprisingly low expense ratios for the diversification they offer.

5. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

I once read a story of a similar situation where parents wanted to help their children with investing money. Think it was along the lines of:

putting the funds into an offset account against non deductible debt. Say if loan is 4.5%, pay the savings from the offset back into the account for the children. Be more than they will get from the bank! Not sure on legalities.

Think in the one i read they paid the chilren say 3% and had a benefit themselves.

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Chidren are harshly taxed on income. 66% So consider CGT deferred income...Longterm growth and gains rather than a income stream. If its your money then dont bother.

7. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

We set up a vanguard Australian shares index fund for both our kids. They are in my wife's name as trustee for the kids.

We received the baby bonus for both and invested that, the eldest is 7 now and it's more than doubled, we haven't been contributing either.

So pretty happy with it, set and forget.