Best interest rate ATM for Owner occupier?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Zammy, 27th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

I'm currently looking to buy and in the process of getting the finance sorted out.
    MB has asked me for any preferred lender and quick look around suggests there are plenty and I'm quite confused by it all.
    My current scenario:
    LVR <= 80%
    Loan amount ~800k

Not sure what would be the best at the current situation 100% fixed or some amount in variable (80/20). Should I consider further drops (which may be insignificant)?

I have quickly sorted the following (in no particular order)
    1) UBank - 2.14% 3 years fixed - no redraw/offset
    2 Heard about - Virgin Money Home Loan 2.09% Fixed 2 or 3 Years Owner Occupied P&I + $2500 Virgin Rebate - no redraw/offset (I think)
    - But not yet advertised.
    3) Loans.com.au - 2.09 % 2 years - think no redraw/offset
    4) Any better than these or which one is the best among these?

Is offset important if the fixed are really low? Do I go for offset with higher rate or no offset lower rate? (I know depends on how much cash you have or how much saving you do monthly - e.g. if saving 3k per month)
    Any expert comments is highly appreciate.

Thanking in advance.

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Say 10 years down the line. You have 400k in the offset. You want to upgrade the PPOR and keep the existing property as an investment. Compared to if you paid the 400k into the loan.

Offset might be important then, but you have to start with it.

Last edited: 27th Sep, 2020
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

whats your definition of 'best'? Are you asking about lowest?

qak likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Loans aint loans

1.99 Fixed for 3 years at Bankfirst

But..................

Objectively your credit advice and research to date looks to be to "product fulfillment" vs digging deep enough what you really need and why, and addressing your future needs and objectives.

At least with an 80 % lend, its not going to kill you on LMI to move next time, if you end up with 2 Seater sports car and you find out you really needed a 5 seater SUV

The very first things my clients get asked to look at with that level of non ded debt are

1. How much buffer do you have left after settlement - have we scraped the last few bucks together because LMI is seen as a cost, rather than an investment in risk transfer.

2. Get an understanding of how an active debt recycling strategy may work for you. This alone, makes the rate chase insignificant if its something that can work for you.

As an aside most fixed rates have little capacity for extra repayments so a cocktail of fixed and variable is often best suited, where we try and estimate how much savings we will have towards the end of the fixed term, and split at least that much off on variable

Some lenders do have 100 % offset on fixed, with lenders like TMB group at 2.19 with 100 % fixed............but !

ta
    rolf

ta
    rolf

5. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I was thinking best as in good rate and good policies.
    I wanted to be able to have the split loan feature so that the debt can be recycled later.
    Any that are best in the market?

6. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

AMP for debt recycling, they have a 'master limit' product. - the lenders you mention in your original post are not good for anything outside the box, such as debt recycling.

ChrisP73, Zammy and Terry_w like this.
  7. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

this is the problem. What if the loan with the features you want has a higher rate? Are you ok with that?

8. Zammy

Zammy Well-Known Member

I know I cannot have my cake and eat it too. I'm ok with higher rate but i wanted to know if there are lenders with lower rate that provide the features.

9. martini

martini Well-Known Member

I want all the cake too. Looking for refinance cash bonuses, plus low 2 year fixed rates, with a single offset and preferably little or no annual fee! #imdreaming

10. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

If you sit down with your MB and walk through what your requirements are, he/she should be able to find out what the lenders are suitable for your specific financial situation.

11. Samuel Philipos

Samuel Philipos New Member

Covid might make your dream come true! Some banks right now offering crazy deals because of the squeeze on their profits from covid. You can message me if you want to pick my brain

12. Rolf Latham

Camry price

Lexus product

Goldilocks Syndrome perhaps ?

Similar to expectations of an 18 Carat Gold Item Vs 9 for the same price.

Almost the same, but not, and in application over time that may become obvious

Loans aint loans

ta

rolf

13. Rolf Latham

Lots out there, but is that what you actually require, or is that what you think you SHOULD have ?

ta
    rolf

Lindsay_W likes this.
  14. martini

martini Well-Known Member

I've thought about this question a lot Rolf, and I don't know the answer. I just know it's what I want.

My circumstances are: IP IO, lower than 80% LVR, want to borrow up to 80% and keep the additional drawn funds in an offset against the loan; the drawn funds are ring fenced for investment purposes; will use them to pay IP related and other investment costs. I have that set up at the moment, but am chasing a lower rate and preferably a refinance bonus which I'll use for capital improvements on my PPoR (which incidentally I'll likely refinance to another lender again; but in that one, I'm chasing a better product with multiple offsets etc). I was thrown by paying the package fee of $395 at the lenders I'm looking at, but I'll do the maths and work it out :)

In summary, yes, a Lexus for the price of a Camry would be great! #stilldreaming

15. Rolf Latham

No advice, TMB et al at 2.69 fixed for 3 with 100 % offset

ta
    rolf

martini likes this.
  16. weejimmy

weejimmy Well-Known Member

I think you are way over thinking this.
    I think a simple No is what the broker is after.
    .just asking incase you love your current bank or something.