House & Home Best heater to use near toddler

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by hash_investor, 23rd May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Which heater do you guys suggest to use near a very mobile toddler? I do have a gas point in my lounge room.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Reverse cycle Air-cond

3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Many moons ago when my lot were toddlers I would put the heater wherever and place the playpen around the heater. They all survived :D

Joynz and Marg4000 like this.
  4. Athikalaka

Athikalaka Well-Known Member

Reverse cycle air con for large rooms & oil column heaters for bedroom
    My 2 year old learnt pretty quickly that it's a heater and it's hot to touch.
    There have been no issues (yet)

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

For my kids I've always used oil column heaters. I found the air con to dries up the room too much. I'll use the air Con as a boost to warm the room quickly, but it's the oil column that stays on all night. They aren't big ones, just the 1000w ones.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We didn't use heating during the day just extra clothes. In their rooms at night we used an oil column heater on a timer that came on around 2am-6am to keep them from getting too cold but Grobags were great for keeping them warm at night

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

We found central heating dries up the room too much too, especially if they have a cold during winter months. Lots and lots of coughing and dry skin.

Oil column heater works best for us. Kid is 2 years old, he learnt very quickly after a couple times not to touch it. Just a small one that has a temperature sensor and a timer.

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

We have a rug heater - like a big electric blanket but goes under a rug rather than under the bedsheet.

Doesn't get too warm, but because it heats from ground level, anywhere a metre or two above the ground feels very cosy very quickly. No spinning fan blades or super hot elements to worry about our son poking at.

Hope he doesn't find the scissors, although it's quite thick and he doesn't yet have the strength to do any damage to it or the cord.

9. Athikalaka

Scissors? I'm more concerned if a toddler has teething and either chews on it or drools over the powerpoints. Walking around with a cup of water is also an issue but the little one knows to stay away from anything electrical. The other concern for mobile toddlers (other than table corners) are hanging off the oven door only for them to open it. We usually have the baby gates but you can't always keep them out. The only injuries sustained have been outside the house

10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Good thing about the 1000w heaters is that while they do get hot, they aren't burning hot - enough to make a child pull back when they touch it, but not necessarily burn them.

Athikalaka likes this.
  11. Athikalaka

We have a 2400W but it never goes above medium setting and the dial is about 40%.
    Should i need it in another room there's wiggle room to max the dial and switches but at the moment it's pretty much fixed with the timer.

12. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

We've got a convection heater in our kids room. Very light unit, so I mounted it on the wall up high, out of reach. Has a pretty sensitive thermostat dial, so it's been set and forget. Although I do switch it off during the day just in case.
    Instant heat is a bonus and it runs quiet except for a the thermo clicking on and off.

13. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We have ducted gas (floor) and ducted reverse cycle aircon (ceiling). We have been using the ducted aircon this year with our toddler. Works out cheaper so far too.

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't get to stressed about anything ... we had open bar heaters and no safety devices anywhere as kids and we managed to survive. By having "whoops" moments is how they learn about safety and boundaries.

We've always had a combustion fireplace. Junior poked her finger on the top as a toddler and never done it since (she's now 15) but does like to toast her backside in front of them

15. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

(off topic) This is our approach to baby safety... I've anchored all the large furniture that I think could kill a climbing toddler, but the smaller stuff I've left unanchored. The more lessons they get, the faster they'll learn; provided they survive each lesson.

Lizzie likes this.
  16. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

i use dyson .. no blades.. stability is okay, but for me timer is easy to use.. and shut of if get too hot.. if u can play it in a place which the kids cant access.. u might be okay.. but then again.. with kids.. just when u think they cant get there.. they get there

17. Athikalaka

My 2yo likes playing with our coloured YeeLight and says "Ok Google, turn the light purple" or "Ok google turn the light on/off".
    I've accidently left the heater on rather than timer and he got too warm too early. He had to call out to us saying that it was hot in his room.
    I need an oil column heater that is wifi connected so he can say "Ok google, turn the heater off" or "turn the heat down"...
    That way I don't have to intervene whilst gaming ;)

18. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Or... you know... read the manual and set the dial properly.
    Generally you switch it on to full heat until the room reaches the desired temp, then turn down the dial until you hear the click or the lights go out. Done.
    Then do what I do, and tape over the dial to make sure it isn't nudged.
    Putting the dial up to maximum doesn't make the room heat up any faster.

Another option is getting a digital thermostat adapter. It plugs into the wall before the heater and has a digital thermostat readout on it. It'll control the heater for you. It's a bit redundant, though, with modern heaters.

19. Athikalaka

Where's the fun in reading the manual but finding a way to hack the controls with an arduino or something?

Nah the timer and thermostat is correct, sometimes I set it to override.
    When everything is set to auto, it's fine, just not at 8pm when the rest of the house is already warm and his body is still warm. I also prefer going to bed at 'room' temperature and then having a heater on adjusting whilst asleep.